Hi All, Just a few Questions...

I am joining this group to help me decide which TomTom to get.
I am joining from Moncton, N.B. Canada
Looking at an xl 330s that a person won as a gift and never opened.
Only concern I have is whether I can get warranty work without a
store receipt. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Last edited:
Hello, and welcome.

Why do you need warranty work if you are looking at a gps that has not been opened yet...do you expect it not to work?

I am pretty sure that when you plug it into and sync it, it registers the product at that time.

Thanks Robm, Nice to be welcomed.

My concern about warranty on a GPS unit I am about to buy is in case
something happens in the future, I just wanted to know if I will be covered.
I guess asking if I have to activate the unit before the warranty starts.
The GPS I am going to buy will be my first unit so I will probably have many
questions in the future.

Thanks

Hi I am a new member here to and as far as I know your Xl 330 S will not be registered until you log into tomtom home, I believe this as I had bought two in less then 36 hours and when I brought the first one back to the store and plugged the second one in to my computer it would not allow me to get any updates to the map stuff and tomtom home stated that only one tomtom device could be added every 6 months, had to call costumer service and have the first one removed before I could get any updates. So I believe that registration is automatic when you plug in your tomtom in and go on line. they collect all of the data about your tomtom in your registration process.

Ken

Rugman has a point. This forum is full of posts from people who have problems with their units, contact TomTom Customer Service and are told to provide proof of purchase before they can get help.

So does Lowboy......

My understanding is that the clock starts ticking from the day the user first uses Home to log into the account set up at TT.

So does Lowboy......

My understanding is that the clock starts ticking from the day the user first uses Home to log into the account set up at TT.
Ditto,
but when you want to make use the the 30 days latest map guarantee they will demand that you provide a copy of the bill of sale as Proof of Purchase from the day the meter starts running.

Not always.......mine happened to be a gift. No sales receipt. But the LMG is usually screwed up and, as you point out, the SR is often needed.

Read this post, you should do fine.
That is a very nice post but I wonder how much has changed in the HOME version and the 930.
I am specifically referring to the Connect/Disconnect and My Device button.
I don't know if it is a change in 2.3 but "Device" is now one of the drop down menus in HOME.

Transfering Favorites from One Tom-Tom to another?

Hi everyone! I'm so glad to find this forum. I have had a TomTom One 3rd Edition for about a year and I love it. It's loaded with Favorites. I just bought a Tom-Tom 930T for Bluetooth (Hands Free calling) and Traffic Info.

My question: Is it possible to transfer or copy my Favorites on the One 3rd Ed. to the 930, other than to key them in manually, one by one? If so, how do I do it?

Thanks in advance.

Ray in Cincinnati

Hi everyone! I'm so glad to find this forum. I have had a TomTom One 3rd Edition for about a year and I love it. It's loaded with Favorites. I just bought a Tom-Tom 930T for Bluetooth (Hands Free calling) and Traffic Info.

My question: Is it possible to transfer or copy my Favorites on the One 3rd Ed. to the 930, other than to key them in manually, one by one? If so, how do I do it?

Thanks in advance.

Ray in Cincinnati
Well, the favourite settings (and others) are kept in a file called MapSettings.cfg which is located in the map folder. Often, users will copy over the file from a backup when they have installed an updated map. However, the procedure is not as effective if trying to copy from one type of model to another because of differences in associated map structure.

Having said that, you can try this:

First, backup the 930's entire contents using Explorer, not Home. Now, copy over the .cfg file from the One to the map folder in the 930. If it seems ok, then make ANOTHER backup of the 930 contents. If it doesn't seem to be too effective in displaying the favourites, simply copy the .cfg from the ORIGINAL 930 backup and overwrite the .cfg file resident in the 930.

As dhn advised, Favorites are kept in the MapSettings.cfg file.
I just had to reset my 930 to factory conditions, made a complete back up and afterwards replaced the "new" 4 KB with my "old" 15 KB file.
Don't know about your old unit but on the 930 you can make your own POI and put your Favorites there so they will not get lost in the Roll-over from the 49th one onwards.
Here is a brief explanation as to how to make a custom POI.

Hi I am a new member here to and as far as I know your Xl 330 S will not be registered until you log into tomtom home, I believe this as I had bought two in less then 36 hours and when I brought the first one back to the store and plugged the second one in to my computer it would not allow me to get any updates to the map stuff and tomtom home stated that only one tomtom device could be added every 6 months, had to call costumer service and have the first one removed before I could get any updates. So I believe that registration is automatic when you plug in your tomtom in and go on line. they collect all of the data about your tomtom in your registration process.

Ken
Love your avatar!

Ask a Question