A few questions about a TomTom 130s

1) No, they are all part of 1 map. Can't splinter them off

2)Yes, custom ov2 files can be installed. Don't take up much room.

Like mention you cant split it up. When its time for you to renew your map or maybe even with the 30 day free map you can get JUST the USA map. Yes custom POI are fine.

However, and I like to add this from my personal experience. The 130 model does not have IQRoutes. And its the best thing to happen to Tomtom since...well forever.

The biggest gripe people had with Tomtom was that it doesnt seem to have the best routing esp. compared to the competition. Since the introduction of IQRoutes I've read that it seems to take roads that only people that live in the that particular area know about.

To make a complicated explanation simple, when you plug the device into a computer it uploads your history and the speeds you traveled on certain roads. This information is used for calculating better routes then distributed to other Tomtom that connect to the computer. It does this because a route that is shorter with a slower speed traveled (traffic, red lights, poor road quality, etc etc) is slower then a longer route that is traveled at a higher speed.

I have a Tomtom without that feature and it does just fine, no complaints. However I'd gladly pay the difference right now if I could have that feature.

Hmmm... how well does the IQ work vs. the non IQ units? I haven't upgraded to a TomTOM w/IQ yet & was wondering do they take into consideration such things as; road construction, weather conditions, rush hour traffic, school zones durring the school year, etc...? Seems there's a lot of parameters that could deem one route or road better than another given so many different & complicated variables(?)

IQ2 routing takes into consideration historical, not real-time data. So, traffic accidents, road construction started recently will not be considered. That being said, those with IQ capabilities on their units seem to feel the routing when the 'fastest method' is selected is much more reliable than routing without the feature, not only for the routes selected but the time to arrival as well.

Ask a Question