Just got a 720- a few questions

Just upgraded to a 720 from a 510. Some great changes especially the USB connector instead of the mount connector for power. Using a vent mount on a Chevy Avalanche. Looks and works great.

Was hoping to use the car speakers for the phone via the FM transmitter. It seems this has been turned off by Tomtom. Anyone have a workaround. Ideally would have directions through the internal speaker and the phone via FM.

Can't seem to get the phone to dial by voice recognition. Will this work if I add the voice recognition files?

I would like to use the bluetooth without having to put a destination in (I know how to get to the office). Is there a way to have the 720 display the map of the area I am driving through without putting a destination in.

Thanks,

Howie

Welcome!

Firmware 8.3 did unfortunately remove the option for fm transmission of navigation directions; only mp3 playing via fm remains.

You can certainly just drive with the unit connected and it will show the road you are driving on and other roads coming up.

Also, make sure you make an Explorer, not Home, backup of your unit's contents. Ensure hidden files/folders are showing.

Also, don't forget to take advantage of the Latest Map Guarantee. You have 30 days from first use. The latest map is 8.15 but you need firmware 8.3 to get it.

Thanks. I had assumed it was like the 510 that keeps telling me to go back to my last destination. I tried to use the map guarantee but it seems that I need to call Tomtom.

The voice recognition is already turned on. Any idea how I can use this to dial the phone. My phone has handsfree dialing and my bluetooth headset works fine with this.

One other question- I turned off the FM transmitter but now I have a FM transmitter symbol with an X through it on the screen. How can I get rid of this symbol. Since the FM for directions and phone is turned off, there is no point in having it on (my car has an aux input if I ever wanted to use an MP3 player).

Thanks for the very quick response.

Howie

Ask a Question