Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

D42

Ok, I just got my TomTom go 920t. I am a pretty computer savy person, but the tomtom is very difficult for me to use.

I was really excited to use the text messaging feature where it read the texts outloud to you, but I can't get the phone to send the texts through to the unit. The phone calls work, but I can't access my address book either. I have the Samsung SGH-a707 and I have cingular. Does anyone know how I can get the messages to the GPS?

Also, I am having a lot of trouble with the TomTom PLUS Service. I though the whole point of getting the 920t vs. the 920 was to get the traffic included. I get the weather fine, but the traffic tells me that I have to pay for it?

Lastly, does anyone know of really good tutorial sites for the 920t that could help me learn about it more and teach me how to use all of its features?

D42,

Not all phones are compatible to send/read text messages. I have a Palm Treo 750 and I have been unable to do so as well.
Here's a link to the tomtom website and the phone compatible with the 920T
http://www.tomtom.com/phones/compatibility/?intProduct=22

Also, about the 920T, the 920T differs from others because, in addition to TomTom Plus, it includes a Traffic TMC-RDS receiver. This is a separate cable that plugs into the base of the 920 next to the Audio Out. If you plug that in, you do not need TomTom Plus Traffic

Hope that helps.

but i beleive you still have to call tomtom to activate the RDS-TMC traffic service. the first year is free. 60 usd after that like is usual in NA. no need to use data connection via bluetooth which carry extra costs from your cell provider. But check first if your city is covered , www.realtimetraffic.net is the website of the RDS-TMC provider for Tomtom. only major cities in Northa America and Toronto, Ottawa y Montreal in Canada gets this service.

No, you don't need to call or do anything to activate the RDS traffic function on the 920T. Just plug in the receiver and it will scan for a station. Once it locks onto one then you'll start getting traffic data. Or at least that was my experience; I didn't do anything to activate the service, just plugged it in. However the problem might be that you don't have coverage in your area.

You need to have the receiver plugged into your GPS or else when you go to the traffic menu it will try to use your cell phone or else it will tell you that you need a wireless data connection. If the receiver is plugged in then it will look for a station. But until it finds one, you can't access any of the traffic menu functions.

ok , i thought the 720 users had to call tomtom to activate the rds-tmc. maybe because the 920T already comes with the receiver it is already activated by default.

Boyd: How is the coverage in New Jersey by the way? Do you find the coverage spoty as Garmin users have complained?

I have only used the receiver for about 4 days commuting to work, and mostly off-peak hours :)

I live very far south in NJ, near Mays Landing and commute to Philadelphia (about 50 miles). On the Atlantic City expressway, I start to get a reliable signal around exit 38 (~20 mi SE of Philadelphia). On the NJ Turnpike I believe the coverage goes farther south, starting between exit 2 and 3 somewhere.

I haven't used the receiver yet for any other trips, but it will be interesting to see how it performs in North Jersey. One problem might be that the reports from each station seem to cover a limited radius (10 to 20 miles?), so if you were travelling on the Garden State Parkway or NJ Turnpike at 75 mph you might not have enough advance warning of a problem to avoid it.

Ask a Question