Help !!!

Not too computer literate but here goes...

I have had a Tom Tom One (don;t know version) for about 2 years using it no problems.
Yesterday I tried to use it for the first time in a few months when it stuck on the opening screen, and won;t go any further.

Green light next to connecting cable lights up when connected to car power cable or connected to PC by USB, but goes out when disconnects (correct I assume)

Iit stays frozen for a while then turns off.

When connecting to my PC, the PC doesn;t find it, I assume because it hasn;t fully turned on ?

Can anyone help ?

Thanks..

ps. Sorry if this is in the wrong place but as I said, not totally literate on PC's....

Charge it up using the PC cable for a few hours then reset it as mentioned above, depending upon the One you have got (and there are lots if different types) the reset switch might be located on the base of the device, if so give it a prod with a pin/ cocktail stick, if there is no dedicated reset switch press and hold the power on/ off switch untill the device issues a drum roll (this indicates a reset on the newer units, at which point release the on/ off button - typically takes 20 to 30 seconds) - Mike

Many thanks people for your suggestions.

I have now managed to connect my Tom Tom to my pc but only if I reset it whilst it is connected...

The reset is the power on/off button

I then restored from my pc nio problems and I ccould see all that is on the device but when I disconnect it from TOM TOM Home, it just freezes at my start picture even when I reset it stand alone ???.......

By the way the box says TOM TOM ONE United Kingdom . Republic of Ireland... the only codes are one on the bar code beginning with PA and one after the name where the cable connects N14644 then Canada 310 if that means anything.

Did you do as Mike suggested and let the unit charge for a couple of hours (minimum)?

Yesterday, a unit I have here would not even turn on, nada, nothing ........

Charged it for about 3 hours and things are ok now. Try it.

I am assuming it charges when connected to PC as I only have a car charger ?

If it does then it has been connected now for nearly 9 hours.....green light still shows when connected to PC but goes out when I disconnect it.

So Yes dhn, I think I did what Mike suggested... Thanks for your continued help guys, much appreciated.

Did a back up to a seperate folder on Windows explorere, formatted the device and copied all back, still the same.... Stops at my picture screen on it's own but when cionnected to PC it works on screen.....:mad:

Since you have a backup, try this......

Connect to Home.
Go to Manage My Device. Items on Device.
Select to remove the application. You'll get a warning but completely remove it.

Disconnect unit properly from Home, using the Device disconnect icon on the bottom right of the screen. Shut unit down. Close home entirely (Right click the Home icon in the notification area of your screen and select exit).

Connect unit to computer and turn on device. Start Home. you should be offered an application. Download and install.

Disconnect the unit (again) properly from the computer. Restart. Any better??

Exactly the same mate...

Did all that and still freezes stand alone at my start picture ???

Sorry I seem to be hogging your advice, it's nearly 2 am here so have to sleep for work tomorrow, thanks your valuable help, very much appreciated... will start again tomorrow !!!!

When I did my back up and format the device, I copied everything back...on some other forums, they are saying I should just copy the "app" whatever file that is, and some are saying delete all files except for the folders ?

Any ideas anyone, the problem still persists, I can see and use when connected to PC but freezes when disconnected...

Honestly, Tom, I don't know what to suggest at this point.

Formatting and restoring the contents sometimes works for behaviour such as you are experience. sometimes, simply resetting the unit worls. Other times uninstalling the application and downloading it again solves the problem. none of those things seemed to have worked.

I'm missing asking something obvious but don't know what at this point.

Do you have a sd card in your unit? And, if so, is all your stuff on it (app and maps, etc?)

Have youy tried the clear flash tool at tomtom.com/6211? Run it 3 times.

Hi dhn, no, thete is no card, just a sealed unit...
Will try running tomtom.com/6211 (three times) and see what happens... everything is so good when connected to pc using "operate my device" it seems the screen is not reacting to the touch is all.....still freezing at my flash screen...

Under "Operate my ONE", go add a favorite. Then disconnect using the blue button on the lower right of HOME. See if it starts after that (you can delete the favorite once it starts up).

Ask a Question