Help with XL340 - Post-Update Scrambled Screen

Hi. I have just received an all new XL340-TM in the mail and joined the TomTom family today. Problem is, it doesn't work. First thing I did with the device is I plugged it into the computer to try to activate the lifetime maps code. It tells me I need to update the software before I can apply the code. So I start the update process. The thing is, during the reboot phase of the process, the device rebooted to a mad scrambled screen. Picture showing the manner of "scrambledness" here: Image - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting

I've immediately made an Explorer backup, but that's after the fact, so I have no working backup to roll back to. I didn't know TomToms are so fragile in terms of software. Anyways, that means I have a backup of the Maps, and I have lifetime maps so that's not even quite relevant. But with that in mind, I formatted the device and used HOME to reinstall the software. Fail. I used HOME to remove the software, and then reinstalled it. No cake. I deleted the software, hard reset, then reinstall. Dead end.

Could anyone help?

Send it back as dead on arrival and get a replacement, when the next one turns up make a backup before doing anything else with it and make sure you use a different e-mail address for the new unit, the e-mail account doesnt need to exist in reality it just needs to conform to the (e-mail address removed) style format, this is all part of the "security" (dream on) - Mike

Ask a Question