XL340 vs XXL540: help me decide!!!

Hello everyone. Lookin at purchasing a new nav unit here soon, and have decided between these two units. Now i start reading reviews and hear all kinds of stories about "i got home and hooked it up to my pc and it bricked" or "the map update bricked it" or "there's not enough memory on the device to do the map update". Have these issues been handled? Or still running rampant? i really like these 2, and will prob just go with the 540m unless its more buggy than the 340m. Don't really need the screen real estate, but its always nice to have a bigger onscreen kb with my huge paws. Any input would be appreciated. Thanx.

People having issues with their 540's tend to have purchased them from Amazon, not a Brick & Mortar site.

LOL, sorry bout that. Wasn't sure which forum was more "active". Thanx for the response though. So, avoid amazon. What about ebay?

I also had issue with 540tm purchased from Amazon. But to their crfedit, TT immediately replaced the unit. I provided bill of sale and they send me fdex label to return the unit to them,.

New unit arrived a week later. The process took like 10 days.

Seemed pretty easy.

So I've been reading around some more, and it sounds to me like people have had far fewer problems with the 340 compared to the 540. Is this accurate?

So I've been reading around some more, and it sounds to me like people have had far fewer problems with the 340 compared to the 540. Is this accurate?
It seems like that's the case, but as others have noted, most of the 540 problems were units from Amazon... but probably not Amazon's fault directly, but the shipment they got from TomTom direct.

Have you looked at the XL-335TM? That's the one I decided on getting. It doesn't have Mexico map along with USA and Canada. Figuring I'd never need Mexico, I opted for this model thinking I'd have more space on my 2gig unit for map updates. After updating to the latest map (v865) I have 200 meg free.

Does that have the "easy" interface? I'm avoiding that cuz I need itinerary planning. But yeah, def ain't goin to Mexico any time soon.

Does that have the "easy" interface? I'm avoiding that cuz I need itinerary planning. But yeah, def ain't goin to Mexico any time soon.
No - the straight 335TM does not have EasyMenu. Some other similarly suffixed units (SE and LE) do. Here's the "do not touch" list:

Ease (Start2 in Europe), XL335SE, XL335LE, XL335LM, XL350, XL350T, XL350M, XL350TM, (XL IQRoutes2 in Europe), XXL550, XXL550T, XXL550M and XXL550TM

Go for the 5" model, 540 but not from Amazon. If you put the 4.3" 340 next to the 5" 540, you'll see a big difference in screen size.

Can it be confirmed that only the "amazon" units are bad? Also, has there been the same "operate my xl" problems on the xl as the xxl? Or has this been dealt with?

Okay, so now i'm reading that it is possible to get the itinerary function as well as other functions back on the 350/550 w/easy menu. I've also discovered these 2 models have usb 2.0 which will speed up map transfers. Are these models any more stable than the 340/540? Is the usb 2.0 worth the difference in itself?

The XXL550TM is available from COSTCO for a very good price. $149.00 Includes a simple case. You can purchase from Amazon an accessory home plug in charger very cheap for the unit. And the XXL550TM does include the computer USB charger cord...

Most items purchased from Ebay will not have a warranty. Since you are 'bidding' and not purchasing from an authorized retailer - but from an individual. This is true even on those items with a 'buy now' button...

And yes, without too much trouble - you can restore the functions of an XXL550TM by modifying various software switches and config files. Huge info on doing this - in this forum.

Two functions which are NOT available on the XXL550TM are Long/Latitude direct input. Useful for some stuff; and maybe you'd like to get involved with Geo Caching.

The other is the Compass. The XXL550TM will display only 360 degrees. You can easily learn the meaning of these by drawing a circle - placing N, E, W, NE, etc. 8 total map points on the circle; and also have the 360 degrees marked on it.

This will let you become familiar with the 360 degree system. Which is more accurate. But the XXL550TM will NOT display the 8 point compass reference - which (for example) - the XXL540TM will - along also with the 360 degree reference if you so desire... And some people prefer the familiar 8 point compass system...

D.

Can it be confirmed that only the "amazon" units are bad?
Of course not. We have no way to know where else they may have been shipped. We can only tell you where all the users with problems here report having bought their units. Best Buy has NOT come up as a problem source.

Okay, so if i purchase from ebay, as long as it is a non-reburb and NIB, i shouldn't have any issues with the LTM code or warranty correct? Of course only buy from a reputable seller.

Okay, so if i purchase from ebay, as long as it is a non-reburb and NIB, i shouldn't have any issues with the LTM code or warranty correct? Of course only buy from a reputable seller.
Just make sure it IS a reputable seller. How you do that with certainty, I don't know.

We've had users see some stuff that looked for all the world like it was pristine in the box and turned out to contain - well - less than 'original' gear. I thought you had the $ for Best Buy?

Yeah, i do, just keepin my options open. But now the more i read up on it, looks like ebay can make returning electronics in general a pain because you don't get a original receipt. Amazon is an authorized retailer, but we all no that story. Although, i have started considering the xl335. Is this model subject to the same amazon problems, or is it just the x40 models?

... argh ... I give up!

You want to open the 335 can of worms, too? No, there are not firmware issues of the sort as are common with the XL540 from Amazon.

However...

EXERCISE CAUTION in your selection of 335 model, or you'll be saddled with the same EasyMenu lack of features from which the 550 suffers.

Avoid 335SE, 335LE, and 335LM.

The feature set of the 335TM is almost identical to the 540, but you'll be looking at a smaller screen.

LOL, thanks for the help buddy, i sure do appreciate it. I'm just browsin my options. I've heard about the hacks to get the menu back, but i'm 99% set on the x40 models. And i do have another question. Basically, i want to buy from a seller found here http://www.tomtom.com/stores/type.php?ID=1&Language=4&Country=223 correct? Also, is it just the 540 model that is crap from amazon, or both the x40 models? Thanx for the help, once again must appreciated. I get real **** about my electronics purcahses, probably research a bit much. But money is hard to come by, so just wanna make sure i spend mine wisely.

Basically, i want to buy from a seller found here correct? Also, is it just the 540 model that is crap from amazon, or both the x40 models?
Not sure what you mean by "a seller found here". Here where?

The only model that seems to have had any issues from Amazon was the 540. Too bad, too. It's a great unit when paired with appropriate firmware. I think the Amazon issue has burned the reputation of that model for a while now.

Ask a Question