Help Please! Tomtom Go 1000 inside...

First of all please forgive my english, I know it's everything but perfect.
I've got a problem with a go 1000 live and I do need some help.

The device does not appear in My Computer, it is not present in the windows devices list.
I tried to connect the terminal on different computers, but in vain.
The operating systems used are Win7 x64 and Vista x64, up to date with the latest patches.
The application "My Tomtom" is installed, and the go 1000 is connected but I can not operate in any way on the device because it is completely invisible to Windows.
The question is: ' does it have to be considered as normal "?
Should I proceed for replacement \ rma warranty?

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
Welcome to TTF!

Unfortunately, the T1000 does not show up in W7 (or any other operating system) as a separate external drive ... as other tomtom units would.

That is normal............

And your English is excellent, by the way.

?!?
Sorry, excuse me, please help me to understand,
(I guess I made a mistake in buying it);
Could you please explain how maps, voices, poi, and so on can be installed on go 1000 then?
Only through "my Tomtom"? (It doesn't work now...)
You mean there is not and there will not be a way to access the device through windows explorer? :(

Thanks! ;)

Last edited:
That's correct. The only way anything can be added to the 1xxx/2xxx series devices is via TomTom directly. Users cannot read or add to the the device directly. You cannot even make a local backup of your new TomTom. Several steps backward for experienced users IMO.

Could you please explain how maps, voices, poi, and so on can be installed on go 1000 then?

Tomtom is planning to add all the maps/voices/poi features from the old Tomtom HOME, into the new MyTomtom application, but they're not ready yet.

I doubt that those who used to bypass Tomtom HOME and do stuff manually (copying files to a drive) will ever be able to do that on a GO 1000.

Nor any other new Tomtom for that matter. Removing fat32 drive access from Tomtoms was one of the terms of the Microsoft lawsuit settlement a year ago.

Ahi ! Very bad news...
New terminals that can not be read from windows explorer? Only go 1xxx and 2xxx series?
In your opinion,... do you think it will be still possible copyng files from \ to a drive (go 1xxx), locally, even through My Tomtom or it will be all web based (that is to say we'll have to pay for every single file we want to copy on go 1xxx generation)??? :(

You will not be able to copy any files from your computer to the unit whatsoever.

Ahi ! Very bad news...
New terminals that can not be read from windows explorer? Only go 1xxx and 2xxx series?

I think it will be restricted in every Tomtom launched now and in the future, due to the lawsuit.

Also, with the control of content, Tomtom can earn a commission on all paid content loads, if they chose that business model.

Personally, I think Tomtom will relent on POIs. They'll probably build a self-POI loader, but limit it to something like 100 POIs. That way paid services like the PocketGPSworld speed cams will need to use MyTomtom and pay Tomtom a commission.

Ok, let's assume so.
But what would be the reason to be so ... cryptic? (edit, read now mvl )
Anyway as Gatorguy said before, "Several steps backward for experienced users IMO".
It will be frustrating to say the least ...
Think that was given to me by my German girlfriend.
And I do not speak a single word of German.
And of course I can not change the language because my tomtom will not let me, telling me WAIT! (for future updates\upgrades).:(
Think of the priceless pleasure of travelling with a girl (virtual) who for what you know could be chatting of quantum physics ...

Edit 2: it is possible to think to gain the access to the memory with a different operating system? i.e linux for example ...

Last edited:
Removing fat32 drive access from Tomtoms was one of the terms of the Microsoft lawsuit settlement a year ago.

I don't think Microsoft is requiring the removal of drive access. To settle the suit, Tom/tom paid Microsoft some unannounced fee for the right to use 8 patents related to navigation plus another three having to do with FAT file access under the General Public License (Version 2). The only two patents that TomTom will not have license to use have to do with Long File Names (LFN), and the way those naming conventions allow file storage and access. The Linux community has already developed and offered a workaround to LFN, which TomTom is welcome to use as part of the Linux community. Additionally, if TomTom's move into WebKit-based support is due to a Microsoft requirement, then it will extend to existing TomTom devices too. Models like the x30/40/50's and XL's. But I've seen no mention of support for those models disappearing, or only working in conjunction with Home3. According to the official press release "TomTom will remove two FAT patents from its products and has two years (March 2011) to do it. TomTom?s customers get patent coverage in the meantime. " Doesn't say future devices, but instead specifically addresses existing TomTom devices owned by customers.

The really sad part of all this is TomTom could have avoided the whole issue by simply agreeing to pay Microsoft a royalty per unit sold. Guess how much? A measly .25 cents each, up to a maximum of $250,000, same as all other licensees of those FAT patents pay. My feeling is this has much more to do with how Tomtom can leverage the platform to squeeze more money from customers than any Microsoft demand that customers have no access to the OS. I could be wrong of course. But I don't think so.

The Linux workaround came after the settlement, and was never yet approved by Microsoft. Microsoft has tons of patents on the Fat32 system which it developed, and I'd bet that the detailed agreement (which was never disclosed) was full removal of Fat32 in Tomtom's products within 2 years.

According to the press release, "The agreement, which has a five-year term, does not require any payment by Microsoft to TomTom. It covers both past and future U.S. sales of the relevant products. The specific financial terms of the agreement were not disclosed."

So by agreeing to remove features in new products, it appears that all sales of old products are similarly exempt for 5 years. Which means Tomtom has 5 years (from March 2009) to pull earlier devices off the shelves.

I don't disagree that other big reasons for device lockdown were probably prevention of map piracy and gaining commission revenue on 3rd party content. Tomtom probably thought through this strategy as they agreed to the 2009 settlement.

Last edited:
And of course I can not change the language because my tomtom will not let me, telling me WAIT! (for future updates\upgrades).:(
As I posted elsewhere, I'm sure Tomtom will prioritize adding the biggest revenue features first. That means maps #1, and voices #2. I don't think you'll have to wait too long.

Talking about maps........

860 is in the distribution pipeline, 855 is current--having been released (late in Europe) about the end of the first week of September and, yet, I think T1000's being sold are having 850 maps installed!

I had read the same DHN. Appears that the maps TomTom used in their press event device back in April are the same one's being used now, 8 months later. The whole release cycle for the 1000/2000 series seems odd. They had a one to show the press back in the Spring, yet they still look "unfinished" and not ready for the market. Don't know what to make of it.

I do not think (as mvl says) that it will happen so soon, just consider tha TomTom has just extended the period of free map updates from one month to three months ...
By the way here in Europe T1000's being sold are just having 850 maps installed, some markets (Germany) have the free live services extended from one year to two...

Last edited:
Yes, and I think the extension of the LMG from one to three months is a reflection that TomTom is going to need that amount of time to get the functionality working for downloading of maps using web Home3.

Here's my reason for optimism:

If you go to www.tomtom.com/getstarted, the website now says "Latest map guarantee" is now available. That's different from just a week ago, when it was "not yet available".

So my bet is that map loading is now fully functional in the MyTomtom app, and Tomtom is just waiting for the release of the November 860 maps to update everyone. It would annoy lots of customers if Latest Map Guarantee gave them 855, and then they wouldn't be eligible for 860. (remember, LMG can only be used once). We'll know for sure when 860 comes out in a couple weeks.

So if maps are "done", my bet is voices are next in line. Given the large revenue opportunity, my bet is that custom voices will be ready by Thanksgiving.

I think they came out with products that accessed Home since the settlement although maybe there was a time period where that was allowed in order to avoid damaging their business.

Garmin still uses it but I suppose they have a licensing fee built in and TT can't afford that given their precarious financial position.

The Linux workaround came after the settlement, and was never yet approved by Microsoft. Microsoft has tons of patents on the Fat32 system which it developed, and I'd bet that the detailed agreement (which was never disclosed) was full removal of Fat32 in Tomtom's products within 2 years.

According to the press release, "The agreement, which has a five-year term, does not require any payment by Microsoft to TomTom. It covers both past and future U.S. sales of the relevant products. The specific financial terms of the agreement were not disclosed."

So by agreeing to remove features in new products, it appears that all sales of old products are similarly exempt for 5 years. Which means Tomtom has 5 years (from March 2009) to pull earlier devices off the shelves.

I don't disagree that other big reasons for device lockdown were probably prevention of map piracy and gaining commission revenue on 3rd party content. Tomtom probably thought through this strategy as they agreed to the 2009 settlement.

Ask a Question