Help on POI database

I was a long time Garmin StreetPilot user and I just made the switch to TomTom One. Overall I very much like the unit, but, unless I am missing something, the POI situation is simply unacceptable.

I appreciate the effort everyone has made to compile POI lists, but with my MapSource for Garmin, it was ALL in there -- and wasn't clumsily separated by corporation. I downloaded the Retail Shops from TomTom Home and it didn't make much of a difference.

An example: TomTom can find no Home Depot's near me. There are several within 20 miles. I installed the Home Depot POI list from this website but it didn't include my area. Even if it did -- I can't be expected to add a POI list for every business nearby.

So my question - am I missing something??? And, if I'm not, is there anyway for me to port over the POI's embedded in my Garmin maps? They don't seem to be separate files, so I don't know if this can be done.

Thanks in advance.

So my question - am I missing something??? And, if I'm not, is there anyway for me to port over the POI's embedded in my Garmin maps? They don't seem to be separate files, so I don't know if this can be done.

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the world of TomTom! ;)

Briefly, if you want to use your Garmin POI's you'll have to convert them from .csv (Garmin) format to .ov2 (TomTom) format using the Batch Convert feature in POIEdit 2007; it's listed under TOOLS.

If you need more help just look around this site and/or ask - the people here are very friendly, and very helpful too! :)

ML

You are missing nothing! The POI database of the current TomTom's are absolutely atrocious. I have traveled over 20 000 miles across North America with the TomTom 910, and the database is truly unacceptable: old POI's that don't exist, over 50% of the phone numbers are incorrect (outdated or out of service), many businesses are simply not there that should be, and major attractions, in some cases the State's or Provinces MAIN attraction, are not there.

Custom databases are nice. But these too can be problematic when they are created by people sitting behind a computer, without having visited the actual location. I've had several custom databases bring me into the boonies where nothing existed, let alone a major business.

TomTom simply has to spend a few more bucks if they want to compete with Garmin and Magellan. Nice options and preferences mean nothing if they can't get you to where you need to go.

Last edited:

Ask a Question