POIs files import as POI categories - help

TomTom Model(s)
1505M
I’m setting up a new 1505M and trying to add POI location files created in ViaMichelin ((*.ov2 files). Using TomTom MyDrive instructions and those here (the same), the files load into the 1505 but show up as POI categories and not POIs. There does not seem to be a way to import them into existing categories. Advice appreciated. Thanks. David

Thanks for the link. It seems to address POI source files created in “*.inf” format and not “*ov2” so not of help. I’m starting to think that the ViaMichelin to TomTom POI export files may be the source of my problem.

Please note that you cannot add POI entries to existing categories that came with the unit. You create your own POI categories (even if they're the same, like Restaurant) and populate those with the places you like.
You need to load ALL of an category into a single *.ov2 file. For example, if you want all of the local Crispy Creme donut shops, you create a single file that contains all of those called CrispyCreme.ov2 or similar. To that, you can add some sort of icon for the category e.g., CrispyCreme.bmp in the correct format (we can discuss this if necessary).

Thanks for taking the time to respond and your post helps get to the heart of my problem:
1. Say I create a new POI category from within that TomTom and name it CrispyCream
2. I go to a 3rd party mapping site that supports TomTom location file export format *0v2. In my case I’m using ViaMichelin to tag hotels and restaurants in Europe and then Share>Export to GPS>TomTom>name “CrispyCreamRome”
3. A file CrispyCreamRome.ov2 is saved on my computer
4. I use TomTom MyDrive>Manage Community Content>Add POI>Browse>Select “CrispyCreamRome.ov2”>Install
5. Problem: No ability to add this file to any existing Category. It simply installs the ov2 file on the TomTom and does so as a separate new Category. Not as a POI but as a Category that can’t be moved into a Category. I can only Add, Edit and Delete POIs and only Add and Delete POI Categories. No ability to move anything. Also, I can’t load all such locations into a single ov2 file as you suggest since each location is a separate ov2 file.

From you post: (Sorry, don’t mean to scream but easier to comment in CAPS)
Please note that you cannot add POI entries to existing categories that came with the unit. You create your own POI categories (even if they're the same, like Restaurant) CAN DO WITHIN THE TT and populate those with the places you like. HOW CAN I POPULATE THESE NEW CATEGORIES WITH IMPORTED OV2 FILES? MY DRIVE DOES NOT PROVDE THIS OPTION
You need to load ALL of an category into a single *.ov2 file. NEED HELP WITH HOW TO DO THIS? For example, if you want all of the local Crispy Creme donut shops, you create a single file HOW? that contains all of those called CrispyCreme.ov2 or similar. To that, you can add some sort of icon for the category e.g., CrispyCreme.bmp in the correct format (we can discuss this if necessary).

What you want to do is create your own POI category for the trip, or perhaps even more than one. For example, MyHotels.ov2, MyRestaurants.ov2, etc. and populate those with the hotels and restaurants of your choice.

Problem ... it's a shame that your ViaMichelin creates a new *.ov2 for each and every location. That really is not practical. It should have been possible to select number of locations and send them as a single file, so it's your tool that's hurting you there. However, that can be fixed by using a text editor to take the contents of those individual 'one line' *.ov2 files and compile them into one or more broader *.ov2 categories (again, e.g., MyHotels.ov2, MyRestaurants.ov2). You'll find the content is in more or less 'human readable' form and can be copied and pasted from one *.ov2 file to another.

It is true that you cannot add to the existing POI file that comes with the TomTom using your current method, though your method makes more sense for what you are doing. The only way to modify existing TomTom POI categories is to make a 'Map Correction' and add a POI to one of their existing categories.

Taking your advice saved a few locall (US) POI ov2 files, opened them in Text Editor and copied/pasted them into one file. However only the first location shows up on the TT POI. Do you know the ov2 paste format? space delineated, return delineated, other?
Thanks,
David

I lied, and felt really stupid afterward. *.ov2 files aren't human readable. I was thinking of itinerary files.
Here's a nifty tool that allows you to open and manipulate TomTom *.ov2 files. Sorry.

Link >>> http://www.poiedit.com/downloads.htm

That will allow you to open and fiddle any TomTom *.ov2 file.

Ask a Question