Help - my bad

TomTom Model(s)
I did a bad bad thing. Tried to install 7.15 map from a torrent hack (could not buy map on line since Canadian TomTom store has been down for months.- I tried, honest). So the problem:

Map 7.15 works on the TomTom stand alone, but when run via the PC, I can only see Guam map. AND, the update does not work because it only thinks that Guam is on the TomTom.

I did back up before I installed the maps, but the restore does not seem to work. It just does a quick thing and nothing is restored. (The back up files are there in the backup folder, but they dont seem to install. I am using Home 2.3.192. I just want my old 7.10 setup back.

You can restore your unit without using TT home.
Use windows explorer, your TT should show up as a separate removable drive
under MY Computer when its connected and if you're also using an SD Card it
will show up as a separate drive as well.

IF all you changed was your map folder you could just delete the hacked 715
map folder and replace it with your original map folder from your back up
which are normally located in:
My Documents/TomTom/Home/Backup in WinXP
or
Documents/TomTom/Home/Backup in Vista

If you also modified some of your system files then you will also need to
restore those as well such as the ttsystem.

You could also delete the entire contents of the unit and copy back
everything from your back up if you can't recall what you changed.

You'll want to make sure you have Windows set to show hidden and system
files and show extensions for known file types.

I did a bad bad thing. Tried to install 7.15 map from a torrent hack (could not buy map on line since Canadian TomTom store has been down for months.- I tried, honest).
I gave up on any of the NA map stores some time ago. I've been doing what needs done via TomTom Home and that seems to get it.

What you discovered is that the TomTom maps are keyed to individual unit serial numbers. Without the requisite key, a map from one TT isn't going to install on another. Neither can you just slide it into place with Windows Explorer. Therefore, the idea of downloading a TT map from a torrent site is pretty silly! Not on your part, of course -- you didn't know. But the person providing it was a doofus for not knowing how the TT map purchase system works. (POI files, on the other hand ... !!!)

In the future, give TTHome a try for purchase of new maps. It's the only way I ever did get a replacement NA map and purchase the Western European map.

Unfortunately, some warez sites provide not only hacked maps but hacked files to overcome the serial number locking protection.

Ask a Question