NEED HELP Bad and Fast! Vacation! GPS long/lat to Tomtom

Good afternoon,

I need help from you guys bad and fast! PLEASE! I am going on vacation to Hawaii next Thursday March 11, I will be renting a Harley while I am there. My wife and I want to tour Kauai, I have a list of GPS coordinates, and need to setup a route in my TOMTOM XL. BUT HAVE NO CLUE how to do it. Most of the places we want to stop at do NOT have an ADDRESS ONLY GPS long/lat. CAN ANYONE HELP ME? PLEASE!

THank You VERY MUCH in advance

Cheers

There are all kinds of ways to do this with and without any external software.

Without: Create your own POI category, and within that, the list of the places you want to visit. That will allow you to include names for each of them. When you create a POI, you can use latitude/longitude information along with the name.

Once you have them all entered, you can create an itinerary using the individual places from your new POI category.

BEFORE you start, get your TomTom set to the coordinate format that matches the coordinates you have in hand for your places to visit... if it isn't already set that way.

Set Coordinate Format

Change Preferences
Right blue arrow until you see
Set Units
The third option will be to set coordinate format

Create the category

Main Menu
Change Preferences
Manage POIs
Add POI Category - Call It "Hawaii"
Pick any marker you like.

Now, for each spot you want to visit

Add POI
Hawaii
Right Blue Arrow
Latitude/Longitude
Enter the coordinates, giving each a meaningful name

Now create your itinerary

Right blue arrow
Right blue arrow
Itinerary planning
Add
Point of Interest
POI Near You (doesn't make sense, but works)
Hawaii
Select your stop
Select
Add
Point of Interest
POI Near You
Hawaii
etc until you are done.
Options
Save Itinerary - call that Hawaii or Hawaii1

I said Hawaii1 in case you need more than the max of 48 points, you may need to create 2 or more of them.

Last edited:
OK - option #2:

Create a TomTom itinerary file directly on your PC called HAWAII.itn using Microsoft WordPad or similar using the format you see below. Be sure you save this stuff in TEXT format! Watch out that Wordpad doesn't append a TXT suffix and you wind up with HAWAII.itn.TXT file. If you do, just rename it to HAWAII.itn to get rid of the extra TXT on the end.

When you are done, copy the file to the "itn" folder on your TomTom.

To execute the itinerary, go to

Main Menu
Right blue arrow
Right blue arrow
Itinerary planning
Options
Load itinerary
- Select your Hawaii itinerary and let 'er rip!

The format may not be the most convenient for you. It's all in decimal degrees without the decimal.

-10500426|4060997|Name of the First POI|2|
-10500734|4061023|Name of the Second POI|2|
-10501856|4061028|Name of the Third POI|2|
-10503402|4061017|Name of the Last POI|2|

So what you see above for the first POI is really 40.60997 north by 105.00426 west (west is negative). That might well not be the format you have your stuff in now. If you have an issue with the conversion, let me know. If you have your coordinates in degrees and decimal minutes, that's the easiest to fix.

Those four separators on each line are the vertical bar character. For many keyboards, that's the capital backslash "\" key. Those ARE important, as is the number "2" at the end of each line.

Your coordinates in Hawaii and as seen on the TomTom itn file will be more on the order of
-15788383|2137572|somewhere|2|

This isn't a geocaching run, is it? If SO, there is a WHOLE lot easier way to do this.

Last edited:
Canderson THANK YOU VERY MUCH! I think I will try option 2 VERY SHORTLY and I will let you know howit came out. THANKS:D
I did a couple of edits on that post, so recheck it to be sure you got the "final" version. Each was a slight (I hope) improvement in clarity.

Also, let me know what your coordinate format is for the places you want to visit. Like I say, if needed, the changes are easy once you get the hang of it. Couple of minutes with a calculator and you'll be in business.

Making sure this correct before I start
The coordinates I have are
Kauai Harley Davidson 21.966489,-159.395993
Kalalua Overlook 22.1469,-159.492348
Spouting Horn Beach Park 21.886183,-159.492347
Poipu Beach Park 21.874160,-159.356083
Lihue Car and Scooter Rental 21.959742,-159.353160

-10500426|4060997|Name of the First POI|2|
-10500734|4061023|Name of the Second POI|2|
-10501856|4061028|Name of the Third POI|2|
-10503402|4061017|Name of the Last POI|2|

-159395993|21966489|Kauai HD|2|
-159395993|221458Kalalau Overlook|2|

Is this correct?

Making sure this correct before I start
The coordinates I have are
Kauai Harley Davidson 21.966489,-159.395993
Kalalua Overlook 22.1469,-159.492348
Spouting Horn Beach Park 21.886183,-159.492347
Poipu Beach Park 21.874160,-159.356083
Lihue Car and Scooter Rental 21.959742,-159.353160

You've got one digit too many of precision in most cases, and are short a digit in another, but apart from that, your data is perfect for this. You want 5 digits after the "invisible decimal", and don't forget the vertical bars for separtion - always 4 per line. The overlook didn't include one before the name.

Just round and knock it down one digit after the decimal like this:

-15939599|2196649|Kauai HD|2|
-15949235|2214690|Kalalau Overlook|2|

Last edited:
Just a warning - I discovered long ago that including characters like "-" or "#" can make hash out of the displayed name -- the TomTom tries to do some strange interpretation of this. Stick with all alpha characters when you can. For example, avoid "&" and use the word "and" instead like you did in your example above.

Last edited:
OK? Let me give it a try! LOL This should be exciting! LMAO Thank you again will let you know what happens!
I'm going to have to be away from the computer for an hour or so, but I'll be back...

Sorry I did something wrong? I typed it all up in wordpad, saved it as txt file. Copied it to the itn folder on my tomtom (g:drive) but it is showing up as a txt file. and when I try to load it I don't have the option. only the one I already had in there shows up? Sorry for being such a PITA! :eek:

Sorry I did something wrong? I typed it all up in wordpad, saved it as txt file. Copied it to the itn folder on my tomtom (g:drive) but it is showing up as a txt file. and when I try to load it I don't have the option. only the one I already had in there shows up? Sorry for being such a PITA! :eek:
Yeah - warned you about Windows and Wordpad. You'll need to rename your file to HAWAII.ITN or something .ITN. Get rid of any TXT in the extension.

Save it as text - name it as ITN.

Lots of people set Windows up in its default configuration -- which is to avoid showing any file name extension at all if the computer knows something about that file type. FWIW, I ALWAYS set up Windows machines to show the full filename, full extensions and all, no matter what. Saves a lot of goofs.

If you right click the file and show "Properties", you'll see the full and real name for it.

I must really be dumb as a stump! I renamed it to Kauaiw.itn but it is not showing up on the tomtom. When I look at the details (properties) of the files in the int file on the tomtom there is the one I had (barnaget to bass river) showing up as an itn, there is a temp.iti file, and my kauaiw.itn file BUT the file type for the kauaiw.itn file says txt. Whereas the barnaget to bass river say itn. (that one shows up in the tomtom. Again I really apoligize for being a knucklehead and really appreciate all the help you are giving me.

OK, IT DOES say kauaiw.itn.txt just like you said it would. But when I rename it it still adds the .txt at the end and will not allow me to remove it.

When you select 'save as', there should be 2 choices below the field where you enter the name.

Look for a field with .txt as one choice AND 'all files' as another.

You WANT to rename the file to whatever.itn AND select 'all files' in the field below.

OK I got the file to work, had to rename it under a completely different name. But now it is trying to take me there from Philadelphia.?

OK I got the file to work, had to rename it under a completely different name. But now it is trying to take me there from Philadelphia.?
Guess that's where it thinks you are right now. Remember, you wanted an itinerary. Those start from where you are and take you to the first point in your itinerary, and route you so that you catch all the others in sequence.

FWIW, I do hope your TomTom didn't think it actually found a route for you :rolleyes: You might want to wait until you get across the Pacific to actually fire up that particular itinerary!

Ask a Question