Help for a newbbie

I have just bought myself a TomTom IQ XL and when I went to get a map update the system froze so I had to abandon the update. When I went to restart the machine it came up with no maps found.

This is when I came up with the bright idea of using the manual backup I had just taken to restore it back to what I had - have sinced realised that I had not taken the hidden system devices so they were not copied across.

I just done a copy paste from the computer folder to the tomtom and after a while and a few warning messages about files not being able to update it allowed me to update the map and get everything running again.

What I was just wondering - is it possible to get hold of a backup that returns the machine to the state it came out the factory ? Does anybody know of a good guide that explains what the different folders are and what systems are stored where ?

Will eventually get up to speed with these things but until then any help would be greatly appreciated.:)

Welcome to TTF.

Since it appears you have things up and running, make an Explorer, not Home, backup of your unit's contents and ensure hidden files/folders are showing.

The system files for the TT application are represented by all the loose files you see in the root of the unit. The various folders and contents are used by the application as it goes about its business of creating routes, providing voices, splash screens, map info and stuff like that.

Thanks for that - it was an explorer backup I originally took but didn`t think about the hidden files as well.

If I ever needed to use the restore copy is it a matter of copy and paste or would I have to wipe or format the tom tom first ?

Glad I stumbled upon this place as it has some great stuff on it. :D

just another quick question - I seemed to have lost the startup sound - anybody know what file this is and how I get it back.

Last edited:
Just use Explorer to copy stuff back, overwriting as necessary.

You'll only hear the start up sound (drums) after a reset of the unit.

Ask a Question