Has to be a better way to save map errors

The method for reporting map errors on the Tom Tom site is pretty much a joke. So far within one week there are so many errors that its not even funny.

Constantly it shows me driving OFF of the road (I guess out in a field) when I am actually on the highway. Most all of the road construction I am speaking of occured well over 4 to 12 years ago. If these are suppose to be the most updated maps then I sure dont know what to tell them.

The engineers should devise a way to "log" the rount as you are driving and actually "save" it to a file on the sd card. Then the file could be compared to the map and changes made. This seems to be the only way to ever correct the maps to a point that they are usable.

I am sure sw could be created to open the map and overlay the actual route driven, or I would assume so with technology being as advanced as it is these days.

The only other way is to do the POI method of saving errors, but again you have to rely on your best jusdgement while you are trying to drive in order to mark where the changes are. Or scan and e-mail up to date maps with GPS coordinates on them marking the detours and road changes, reroutes and closures.

Anyone have any thoughts or site they care to suggest that would make reporting easier?

As far as I know, to record map errors on the actual device is using the POI method outlined by battom. I assume you have already are using this method but in case you're not it's found here.

Other than reporting map errors on the TT site you can report it directly to Tele Atlas site found here. However, you may need the GPS coordinates to accurately report the error.

Using the Map Error POI works great too becuase not only do you have a record on your device of the errors YOU know of... you know have a waypoint you can use as a roadblock and tell your device to NAV around/away from it the next time you need to go through that area....

Ask a Question