has my SD card always been corrupt

mad

TomTom Model(s)
ONE XL
Hi all new hear,
I gave up with tomtom support after getting NON whatsoever.I contacted them regarding an issue with my ONE XL,when I first connected to my computer (sometime ago now) it asks you to backup which i did as per instructions.I got on and used the XL for work for about 6 months,in this time it used to crash 2 or 3 times a week,I did'nt take much notice as i had been told by another tomtom user that his would do the same.
Anyhow one evening I connected the XL to the computer at which time windows vista says there is a problem with your hardware would you like to scan and fix the error or continue without scanning i picked the later as I always do with windows GOOD IDEAS.
Got into tomtom home and after a couple of updates later managed to get into the menu,BACKUP or RESTORE your tomtom,well I thought it might be a good idea to restore as it may help with the crashing problem,after whirring away for awhile it says there is an error in the backup file,how can there be an error I had only backed up once when I first connected to the computer.I even asked tomtom support if i could send the sd card back to them to replace or repair you can guess the response I got to that.
Anyway sorry for the long first post but any advice on getting the tomtom running without so many crashes,OH and a toothpick reset does'nt help,

Last edited:
Can you connect the unit to the computer and have it recognized? If so, make an Explorer, NOT Home backup (we NEVER suggest using Home for backups)

After the backup by Explorer, format the unit, don't use quickformat.

Then use Explorer for the restore.

Thanks for the reply,i used tomtom home for the backup as this was the only option available,the computer recognises something there but asks me to scan and fix errors or not,i always choose not.
And sorry to sound stupid but whats an explorer backup.

Vista tends to pop up a warning about scanning a device for errors everytime you connect a TomTom to the PC (mine does this as well), simply click the "No" option.

Next click "Start" followed by "Computer" look at the drive letters listed and one of them will be for your TomTom One XL, click it to open the drive, can you see any files or folders listed? - Mike

thanks for that I have just been searching and found a bit on backups will see if i can do that and then post again.

I have tried to do the backup but all the files except the United_Kingdom_and_Republic_of_Ireland file wont go over to the new folder I made.I checked on the properties and it shows the file size as 13.3 GB seems a bit to big for such a small sd card HELP !!!.

Use Windows Explorer (Start/ Computer) to open the drive letter associated with the TomTom, next open the folder UK&ROI (possibly named United_Kingdom_and_Republic_of_Ireland) in here will be a whole load of files find the one named United_Kingdom_and_Republic_of_Ireland.pna right click this and select Open With/ NotePad what is the content of this file (post the text in to your next reply) - Mike

ID=United_Kingdom_and_Republic_of_Ireland.pna
build=1409
id=79764

hope this is the right bit,it was the only pna file.

Do you have the folling files and file sizes in the United_Kingdom_and_Republic_of_Ireland folder:

cline.dat 63,714 KB
cname.dat 23,482 KB
cnode.dat 26,884 KB
faces.dat 9,141KB
mapinfo.dat 1,511 KB
MapSettings.cfg 2 KB (Size might differ though)
poi.dat 1,902 KB
Thumbs.db 10 KB
tmccodes.dat 395 KB
traffic.dat 1 KB
traffic.inc 1 KB
United_Kingdom_and_Republic_of_Ireland.mid 1 KB
United_Kingdom_and_Republic_of_Ireland.pna 1 KB

These are the only files needed for a V675 UK&ROI map, you might have loads more files if the device is corupt but try and copy the above files one by one from your device to the PC - Mike

thanks for the reply Mike only just managed to get back to the computer,I have about 50 files inside the folder United_Kingdom_and_Republic_of_Ireland,the files you show are in kb mine show in mb !!!!????.
I have copied all the files you have posted up over to a new folder but the following 2 files are not in there would they be anywhere else on the sd card,
traffic.inc 1 KB
Thumbs.db 10 KB
anymore help would be great -Andy

Ask a Question