Got your new MAPS DVD - Now What?

You placed your order and got you new MAPS DVD. What's next? You pop the DVD into the drive and you notice it has way more than you expected. So you go to tomtomforums.com and ask......
Can any one tell me what is the advantage of loading the regional maps? or is the North American map is more detailed?

The answer:
The maps are identical in terms of detail. The North America map is seamless so you don't have to change maps when traveling in different states. The smaller regional maps just save space, but it's the same level of detail.

We at TTF hope this helps all who have gotten their new MAPS DVD.

Last edited:
Ok, I am a little confused.

The DVD I have has two maps, USA & Canada and North America.

Why would I need to change maps when switching states?

Also that would require multiple regional maps, not just one and those regional maps would have to total at least the size of the big map of they were identical.

There is a diffrence with them.

Can anybody say for sure what it is?

Also that would require multiple regional maps, not just one and those regional maps would have to total at least the size of the big map of they were identical.

There is a diffrence with them.

Can anybody say for sure what it is?

The NA and USA & Canada are all contiguous you do not need to change maps for states. I believe that the difference is with Canada, NA may not have the Canada. This is my assumption, I have not confirmed that.

What I don't understand is why the NA is larger in size than the USA & Canada?

No, that's right. The dvd has North America (which includes Canada) and then USA/Canada. Pop yours back in to confirm. But mine also had Guam, I'm pretty sure.

No, that's right. The dvd has North America (which includes Canada) and then USA/Canada. Pop yours back in to confirm. But mine also had Guam, I'm pretty sure.

So the question of the day is "What is the difference between North America and USA/Canada"?

And the answer is in multiple places in the forum, a quick search will show you this among others... :)

Go back to my downloadable maps thread... I posted a screen shot of everything on my DVD.. there is WAY more than just NA and USA_Canada maps.

i have each state seperate...regional... quaderants...

US_and_Canada is ment for the ONE, 510.
The North America map is for the 910.
You can install the North America map on 2GB SD card.
If you want to know the difference, Fanchee gave the link describing the differences.
Tzvi said:
You don't switch states when installing either North America or US_and_Canada

So can someone explain this one to me? I got my 6.65 DVD a while ago...probably 2-3 weeks. I've installed it, but today, I'm installing the North America map after buying a 2GB SD card. While I'm waiting for my backup to complete, for the heck of it, I punched my maps product code into the "Check if I have the latest maps" box on the TomTom.com site... and it says I don't have the latest maps. I click to get my free maps upgrade again, and it's trying to send me 6.65 again. Is there a newer 6.65 available, such as 6.65.xxx?

you haven't activated any new maps yet have you? Though if you punch int he code from the new card that should tell you they are the latest....hhmmm

I think there is a confusion somewhere along the line with tomtom.
You should have the latest maps.
No, there isn't another version that came out after the release of the new Map DVD.

LOL, fair enough. I've got another funny one now. I've installed the North America maps now, and I've upgraded to the newest version of TomTom HOME. And now HOME thinks I have a TomTom GO 710. Go figure...

I apologize for being slow and I did take the time to read this enitre thread as well as "Differences between 2006 maps..." thread.

I know it's in there somewhere but would some kind patient soul please tell me the advantages of getting the new maps if I only travel in the US? Are there more POIs and more roads on the new map? Any detail will be appreciated.

Thanks for tolerating the question as I'm sure I probably read over the answer I'm looking for somewhere.

OK.... took a peek at the DVD's contents.....

Now, does the localized map contain more information than the big file, NA?
Or was that dones strictly for SD card capacity limitations.

IOW, should I use a local map when driving locally (due to more detail), then switch to NA for long trips?

Ummm... sure would like to compare the BIG "NA" map to the local NY/CT/NJ or NY/PA/NJ/DE/DC/MD

-= Chris ? =-

In my understanding boomboom,
The NA map is a collection of regional maps.
They are more detailed than the USA/Canada map
So if you are using NA map, you don't need to switch between it and regional
map, because they are the same.

Someone correct me if I am wrong

Ask a Question