Google Maps and Tom Tom Home (for Go 940 Live)

TomTom Model(s)
Go 940 Live
Hi there,

Though I have a GO 940 LIVE device, the issue I am facing may be device independent and hence I am posting it on this General thread. Any help would be appreciated.

On Tom Tom's own website at: TomTom, portable GPS car navigation systems and Google Maps there are step by step instructions to add an address found on Google Maps to the Tom Tom:

• Perform a local search with Google Maps
  • Click on the 'Send to GPS' link
  • Connect your TomTom device to your computer
  • TomTom HOME starts automatically
  • Confirm the address
  • Download the address to your device

But though the HOME software is running etc the last two steps can not be followed as nothing seems to happen at all.

There do not seem to be any options or menu selections which can be used to do the last two steps.

The HOME screen remains unchanged when I select the 'Send to GPS' button on Google Maps.

What am I doing wrong? How do I add address data from Google Maps onto my Tom Tom please?

I have a Windows 7 - 64bit computer where HOME is running and my Tom Tom GO 940 LIVE gets connected to this computer and Firefox is my browser of choice.

Functionality may only be available with Internet Explorer, not positive.

Hi there,

Though I have a GO 940 LIVE device, the issue I am facing may be device independent and hence I am posting it on this General thread. Any help would be appreciated.

On Tom Tom's own website at: TomTom, portable GPS car navigation systems and Google Maps there are step by step instructions to add an address found on Google Maps to the Tom Tom:

• Perform a local search with Google Maps
  • Click on the 'Send to GPS' link
  • Connect your TomTom device to your computer
  • TomTom HOME starts automatically
  • Confirm the address
  • Download the address to your device

But though the HOME software is running etc the last two steps can not be followed as nothing seems to happen at all.

There do not seem to be any options or menu selections which can be used to do the last two steps.

The HOME screen remains unchanged when I select the 'Send to GPS' button on Google Maps.

What am I doing wrong? How do I add address data from Google Maps onto my Tom Tom please?

I have a Windows 7 - 64bit computer where HOME is running and my Tom Tom GO 940 LIVE gets connected to this computer and Firefox is my browser of choice.

Aarghhhhh,

As DHN pointed out this feature is available only if you use the internet exploder....oops Internet Explorer.

But nowhere in the documentation this is mentioned. The Tom Tom website has no mention of the supported browser at all.

I have previously worked with applications running on devices which are controlled using Web Browsers and Internet Explorer is the most horrible browser to work with - they follow only Microsoft standards and the accepted world standards are not valid. The work arounds I had to put for every different version of IE had made the code a complete mess.

And here I am using a device which is supposed to run Embedded Linux but supports only Internet Explorer.

Thanks DHN for your response.

Ask a Question