Google Maps & TomTom XL 340S compatibility ???

According to the TomTom site you should be able to utilize Google Maps to locate a specific address (Restaurant, Realtor, Physician, etc.) and using the Google Maps' "Send" transfer that address to the TomTom GPS link using TT Home and a connected TT device, where you can save it as a Favorite, POI, etc.

Although I have updated my TT Home and TT Map to the latest versions, and religiously followed TT's instruction, when I click the final Google Maps "Send" link I get the following error message, "TomTom Home has stopped working. A problem has caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available." (No solution shown)

I would like to know whether there is an incompatibility issue between TomTom Model XL 340S and Google Maps or if there is a solution to the frustrating problem I have encountered. I would deeply appreciate all assistance.

I was able to successfully do this on my 340s.

Try this general procedure:
1. Connect your device to your device to the computer. Go through and complete the update cycle within TomTom Home. Click on back after applying any updates so you are at the TomTom Home menu
2. Open a browser on your computer (I use Firefox). Go to Google Maps and key in the appropriate address and click on Search Maps. Click on the Send link within the bubble. Click on GPS. Set the brand to TomTom and click on Send. A launch window may open. If so, make sure TomTomHOME.exe is the chosen application and click OK.
3. The TomTom HOME screen will appear. Be patient. You will note that your device will indicate that something is accessing its memory. After a short time TomTom Home will show a screen with the address and three choices. Click on Navigate to it. Within TomTom Home the screen, simulating your device, will go through the process of planning the route. Let it complete (responding to questions like do you want to avoid toll roads depending on your settings and your route). Click on done when complete
4. Click on the disconnect your device icon in the lower right corner of TomTom Home. The device disconnect message will appear. Click on OK but do NOT disconnect your device from the computer at this time.
5. Look at your device. You may see messages saying it is writing route instructions. Wait for this to go away. It will also show you the screen asking if you wish to connect to your computer. Note that this whole process may take a while, depending on the length of the route. Even on a short route it can take a minute until the Do you want to connect to computer screen appears. When the message about writing your route hasn't appeared for at least 10 seconds and the screen asking you about connecting to your computer is available then tap on the no button . The legal screen will appear. Tap on the I agree.
6. The route should now be in your device. Disconnect the cable between the device and your computer. Remember to drive safely.

As soon as I click the second "Send" button the TomTom Home screen does not appear, but I get the error message that "TomTom Home has stopped working". Perhaps it is a problem with the TT Home and TT Map versions I am using (APP: 8.414 (1239/090707) OS: 320300
MAP: V825.2197). Since you are not having any problems, what versions are you using?

It is working with my 340s. Below are my version numbers.

App 8.414 (1239/090707) OS 320300
GPS v1.20 Boot 5.5130
Map 'USA_Canada_and_Mexico_P' v835.2460

TomTom Home version 2.7.1.1812

Windows Vista Home Premium

Yes, I did have TT Home running when I clicked the "Send" link on Google Maps.

I was using TT Maps version 825.2197 when I experienced my error problem and the successful user of Google Maps appears to have been using TT Maps version 835.2460. When I attempted to update to the latest map version using LMG my GPS world came to a bitter end!!! I am now working with TT technical support to either get my newly purchased XL 340S working again... or getting authority for sending it back for a replacement.

Thank you all for your support and suggestions.

By any chance, was your "bitter end" an endless cycle of restarts? If so, try the tips here, may save you the hassle of a warranty replacement.

Ask a Question