Gone to the dark side

TomTom Model(s)
ONE
After about 16 months with my ONE, on an impulse, I bought a Garmin nuvi 750 from HSN for $299. Seemed like a good price.

It has WAY more POIs than the ONE has, also has text-to-speech, can play the audio (including mp3s) through the vehicle audio system, has a longer battery life, and uses both internal and SD card memory, both at the same time.

Any Garmin purchased after March 1st is eligible for a free map update to their latest version. I had an issue getting the new maps but Customer Service took care of it quickly. Another plus for the Garmin.

However, there are features of the ONE that I prefer, including more info on the screen even though it's a smaller screen. The Garmin does not display the road you're on, only the next road you need to turn onto.

My ONE came with an AC cord and a case. The Garmin does not come with an AC cord or a case. My ONE AC cord seems to charge the Garmin fine though.

I have not had a chance to do any routing comparisons yet. Since I still have the ONE, I'll still be around, but I do want to thank everyone here for all the great help and info since I've been here. It saved me a lot of aggravation.

Jim

Jim,

Please keep us advised on how the routing compares between the ONE and the 'dark one', LOL. Could be interesting. :D

250px-Vaderemperor.jpg

It has WAY more POIs than the ONE has, also has text-to-speech, can play the audio (including mp3s) through the vehicle audio system, has a longer battery life, and uses both internal and SD card memory, both at the same time.

Do you realize you just described the TT GO units?

Any Garmin purchased after March 1st is eligible for a free map update to their latest version. I had an issue getting the new maps but Customer Service took care of it quickly. Another plus for the Garmin.
And TomTom has the same deal.

However, there are features of the ONE that I prefer, including more info on the screen even though it's a smaller screen. The Garmin does not display the road you're on, only the next road you need to turn onto.
Jim

Hi Jim,

Don't be a stranger here! It's good to know the Garmin doesn't feature an image of the road you are traveling at the time. That's something I love about my TT. It gives me the ability to "look around the bend."

Ask a Question