update gone wrong !!!!

TomTom Model(s)
TT One XL IQ (310)
I tried to update 'the wifes' TT and receiced a error message (unable to create some file). i did the scan with my pc and it said the problem was fixed, I tried again and it completed the update. But then i found when i turned it on i had no maps or functions, just a blank screen saying 'no maps'. im not a pc wiz but i have tried allsorts to try and fix it. i have removed everything from it throuh home and tried to put new maps on but its too full. i accessed my TT through 'my computer' to see what i could remove but didnt know what files i could remove. is there anyway i can clear the TT and reinstall all the sw needed?.

Remember its 'the wifes'.:rant:..............I NEED HELP !!!

When you did the scan with your PC, you didn't by chance clear out any *.chk files at the end, did you? Windows sees those as recovered file fragments, but your TomTom uses files with that extension for entirely different reasons, and NEEDS them!

Let's start from the beginning.

Do you still have a folder on your unit for your map? I'm assuming something about UK/ROI map given your location.

Have you ever backed up your unit either with Home or with your PC's OS?
Have you ever updated maps before with your PC?
Did you ever take advantage of the Latest Map Guarantee after you bought your unit?

If we can find a map set for you somewhere, we can easily restore the firmware that drives your unit.

I backed it up just before the update but it will not restore. There is a few chk folders still there but i dont know how many it had before. Its the first update from new (30months) and clearly its not been updated with this pc.

When I look in my device on home, where it shows you how full it is. I have removed everything (moved to pc) but it says its still full, or very close to full.

If your map folder is (more or less) still intact somewhere (anywhere), we can work from that. When you open Home,

R Arrow
Manage my device
Tab - Install items from my computer

Do you see any maps listed there?

I have maps, I think there new ones and when selected it just says 'not enough space'.

I think I need to free up some space,

Um -- are you running on a Mac, by chance? Doesn't sound that way, since you mentioned "My Computer", but needed to check.
Under My Computer, how much memory is used/remaining on your device?

Were you updating maps when this happened (new map) or the firmware, or just the usual odds and ends stuff?

If your map folder is (more or less) still intact somewhere (anywhere), we can work from that. When you open Home,

R Arrow
Manage my device
Tab - Install items from my computer

Do you see any maps listed there?

I was doing odds and ends/system update/ plug the TT in click update. I wasnt doing a full map update. (i bought a new map today to try fix the 'no map' problem but i dont have the space.
^^^^^Are we in 'TT home' here ?^^^^^
Im using laptop with windows vista.

Yes, those instructions were related to Home. But now we have (another) added data point - really helps to know all from the start.

Let me see if I can summarize.
Things went badly during update.
Unit reported "no maps" after bad update.
You purchased map to try to resolve "no maps" problem.
Map has been downloaded to your PC, but will not install because...
Now you don't have room for the map that you purchased.

No harm if you wanted a more recent map, BTW, but now we need to sort why it won't install.

Back to previous question so I have a sense of the scope of the problem. Under My Computer, how much memory is used/remaining on your device? Did you previously have ONLY the UK/ROI map, and is that what you purchased as well, just in a more recent version?

Just to verify - since there were several models that sound like yours and none that I know specifically called a ONE XL IQ associated with a "310" (only "340"), can you provide the first two characters of the serial number for me?

its a TT XL IQ routes edition. Serial Number RS.
I have found when I look in to the TT through the PC (no home) I have some very strange file names ( e.g #/$/.% ) some of them were last modified when the update went wrong but some were last modified in............ wait for it.......1982.(Ive put a picture on, I dont know if you can see it?) when I try to remove em It says my device my not work without them. I also cant move them to anything else, it says the name is not valid or too long. Is this normal ?

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    33.7 KB · Views: 279
Yikes. Yes, you have some seriously corrupted files there, and it's going to need to get cleaned up before we move forward. It may even be necessary to format your unit to clear off the non-standard filenames.

OK - back to the important part. We need to find maps. You say you have maps, so go through this list and let's see where the best set is located.

On your PC, please check to see if a map folder can be seen in either of the following locations, and please note the dates of the file sets that you might encounter in the folders if successful:

My Documents/TomTom/HOME/Downloads/complete/map
We're looking for any folders inside the 'map' folder there that might contain one or more maps that can be installed.

On your PC, also check to see if the following exists:

My My Documents/TomTom/HOME/Backups
If so, what folders can you find there?

As soon as we verify that we know where your maps are located, it will be necessary to format your TomTom and reload the firmware, then load the maps. We'll explain the steps as we go.

I moved a load of files on to a memory stick, one is called 'maps' (2009) but its empty, but one is called UK & RoI (2012) with things in ( cline.dat,cname.dat,cnode.dat,cphoneme.dat,crpoi.dat,deletedPoi.dat ).

OK - good news on that UK & ROI. It sounds very much like you have a full map set there on that stick! Please also check your computer in the event that we need any files there.

Meanwhile - time to format. Hook up your TomTom to your PC. If Home fires up, just X it out. We don't need or want Home for this exercise.

Open up My Computer. Your device will appear as a storage device. Right click and select Format. Format the device with FAT32, and do a full format, NOT a "Quick" format.

Use the systray icon for ejecting USB devices and properly eject your TomTom, then disconnect it.

Reconnect your TomTom and let Home fire up. Home should offer you an application to replace the one that is now missing. Your device is known under various names, but in your region as "XL IQ Routes" and here in the U.S. as the XL340, and has 2GB of internal memory, not the skimpier 1GB that was common for some UK-only units. For that, I would expect Home to offer you application 9.061, but it may NOT do that immediately. If it offers you a lower numbered application, go ahead and accept and install that, but be prepared to have it offer yet another application when connected again - shooting, as I said, for 9.061 as the final product.

Once you have an application, take that UK & ROI folder and copy the folder to the root of your TomTom.

Fingers crossed, but that should put you back in running condition again. Once you are running, do be sure to BACK UP the whole thing again to your PC.

Ask a Question