GO730 not recognised by PC

TomTom Model(s)
Go730, GO51
Hi all, I have two similar GO730s, each has a separate TomTom account on TomTom Home. I just updated both of them, which seemed to work OK, but now when I connect either of them to the PC dock, the PC reports "no device connected".

Is this a known problem, and if so does anyone have a fix, please?

Best wishes, in hope, Woodentop:confused:

No Device

I found your question interesting because I ran into the same problem. I had Go720 that needed replaced so I replaced it with a Go 730. The new device connected initially but I had no computer voice. After spending hours with TT Technical support, they gave up and gave me an RMA number to return the device. When I got the replaced device, it would not connect to my computer but the Go720 would connect just fine. I had to restore my computer to a time prior to connecting the first Go730. While this fixed my problem, I believe there is a registry change that takes place that is causing the device to be duplicated and possibly creating a bad ID when the second device is attached. There needs to be a solution to this problem as some folks may not have the capabilities to restore their machine. You may want to to see if you have a previous restore point. I am not sure how to deal with two of the same devices. Like you, I also had a different email set up but that didn't help. It would be interesting to see Tomtom's answer. I am using the device on Windows 7 premium edition. I don't know the answer but my guess is it has something to do with the device registration already being in-use invalidating the second device.

Hi all, I have two similar GO730s, each has a separate TomTom account on TomTom Home. I just updated both of them, which seemed to work OK, but now when I connect either of them to the PC dock, the PC reports "no device connected".

Is this a known problem, and if so does anyone have a fix, please?

Best wishes, in hope, Woodentop:confused:
For the longest time (probably 6 months), my PC would never recognize my 720 (no difference vs. 730 these days with firmware) after an update. Every update required a quick pin reset on the bottom of the unit, and then it would be recognized without trouble on any subsequent attempt. Never did figure out what caused it, and it magically stopped misbehaving one day and hasn't done it since. Certainly worth a try as a 1st step.

Many thanks both. I finally figured out that, as you suggested, a quick pin reset and logging in enabled the PC to recognise each unit in turn. I've had all sorts of Windows "failed to connect" messages, and dire warnings that my device may not work properly. No worries, I can live with a reset each time. Now I might be brave enough to consider uploading some additional POIs... :(

Thanks again.

Good to hear that worked. I wish I could tell you why it started, or better, why it stopped. The improvement wasn't the result of a change in firmware, as I was running 8.351 the entire time. Just used to keep the paper clip on the desk handy for when I did the weekly updates.

Just looked - it's still here. Guess I can put it back in the drawer with all of its paper clip friends now!

I've always been amazed that the reset actually works. The units that exhibit this seem to work just fine EXCEPT for connection to a computer.

You can wipe the entire O.S. and higher level firmware from these units, connect to a computer with Home, and reload it all. So the critical USB connection firmware and data (VID, PID and the like) and the true bootloader software that isn't even visible in the files when you view them must always be resident somewhere in protected memory and ready to go. So it's got to be some sort of odd firmware glitch that causes this... but what? That it can come and go for no apparent reason has been the mystery.

If you have the hole in the bottom, keep the paperclip handy. If not, remember how long to hold that power button down...

Go figure.

I have the same problem with my 730, not all the time however, when it does happen I remove my memory card and re-connect and all is fine, I do not carry out any updates but disconnect, turn the unit off, re install the card and then everything is back to normal again - until the next time !

I was having similar problems with my PC recognizing my 730 (both the internal memory and SD memory card). I ran a scan from a program called Advanced System Care (free for home users) and that corrected my problem. I can't say it will work for everyone but the program is free and is a good for general maintenance.

Am not familiar with that program. Did it say what it was that it corrected?

Here's a description from their website.

"Advanced SystemCare Free (formerly Advanced Windows Care Personal) has a one-click approach to help protect, repair, clean, and optimize your PC. With over 50 MILLION downloads since 2006, this fantastic, award-winning, free PC repair software is a "must-have" tool for your computer. 100% safe with no adware, spyware, or viruses; a PC maintenance program that?s incredibly easy to use."

IObit - Speed Up Slow Computer, Keep PC and Internet Secure, Freeware Download

I wish make a disclaimer that I am in no way associated with this company, nor know anyone associated with this company, nor expect to make any gain whatsoever from this information.
This free version, (similar to Glary Utilities) did quite a remarkable job of cleaning up my PC and correcting the TT 730 non-recognition problems.

I second the recommendation for the Advanced System Care program. I started with the free version, was very pleased with the outcome and when they offered the PRO version for under $13 on an upgrade I bought it.
I have not had any problems with it or the computers it is running on at home, including my one at work. I, also, am not affiliated with the company, just a satisfied user.

Ask a Question