Go710 and Firmware 8.15

TomTom Model(s)
Go 510 4GB
TomTom told me that my 710 is actually the European version of the 510 that made it over here (I bought it off eBay or Amazon). I just bought the 8.15 map and will not get Route IQ until 8.15 comes out. Will the 8.15 for the 720 work on the 710?

You should have taken advantage of return privileges if there were any...

What works on the 510/710's is limited by the applications that TomTom is allowing on them. They want to steer you to newer units, but since you are an MBA so you know that.

With app 7.9xx, you can run the 815 maps but not certain features like (I believe) IQ routing (check the forum - should cover all the have-not's pretty well). Loading "720" maps would not change that.

Just a thought - if you resold the unit on eBay - maybe you could break even - especially if you feature the new 815 map. Most eBay units come with VERY old maps.

You are dealing with a relatively old unit. You can get a like-new 720 for around $170, plus you (if you are a careful shopper this time) would also get a 30 day map upgrade to the 815 map. Plus - the features you are looking for will all work with the latter applications available on the newer unit.

There are other ways for getting some more value for your new map, but you would have to PM me for that.

Sorry for not giving a clearer idea of my situation. I am happy with the 710 and bought it about a year ago. I bought the 8.15 map because of the special they are running and because I thought it had IQ. Should have read a bit more carefully.

I am wondering if the 8.30 application will work on the 710.

No. I tried to "clone" my 910 to run 8.xxx applications, but was not successful. TomTom has not, and most likely will not, be making 8.xx applications available to run on older units.

The 7.9xx applications are so the map will even run on the older units, but the newer features will not.

That's a bummer. The TomTom support rep said that they had not created the 8.15 app "yet" for the 710. So I am still hopeful. I realize that the X10 models are probably the next to be "retired" by not updating them...

Ask a Question