lost sound on go710

TomTom Model(s)
go 710
hi there,
can anyone help? have lost verbal warning from my unit as i get to a speed camera, the unit shows the camera but dose not warn.
have tried a full reset of the unit with no luck.
can anyone advise me.
regards

HI dhn,
thanks for your reply, there is no category in warn when near on my 710 for cameras. the sound file for this seams to be missing,but the cameras show on my tomtom but with no sound waning ?
regrards

Before we go too much further, can you just confirm that you're trying to get the warnings working for TomTom's own speed cam system and not for one that you've added yourself as 'Points of Interest'?

The "Warn when near" setup that dhn describes is for any third-party system using POIs. The setup for TT's own camera warnings is different.

My memory is a little hazy on how you used to get TT's own speed cameras on an old model such as the Go710 as it has no LIVE Services.

I'm assuming you have subscribed to PLUS Services and download the camera files via Home?

And it's also a little hazy on what the menu items look like (that will also have changed depending on whether you have updated the software fully).
Do you have a section in the main menu for "TomTom Services" or for "Safety Alerts"
One of those should lead you to two menu items for :

1. "Change Warning preferences" where you can set up the sounds used for each camera type, and
2. Enable/Disable alerts - Don't forget the way TomTom's menus are done is that the icon needs to currently say "Disable alerts" for them to be switched on.

HI ANDY,
i have a GO710 basic unit that has maps and cameras downloaded via tomtom home, have just purchased a new map (4 updates per year) and have not used if for some time. the software version installed is 7.903, and i do not have tomtom plus working on this unit.?
regards,
tn221ug

There must be somewhere in the menus where the audible alerts are set up for speed cameras. Could you not find either of the places I mentioned?

hi andy,
there is no audio setup that i can find for cameras, there is a warn when near poi but no cameras shown in this catogoy, can i add cameras to the poi ?
regards

Your IP address suggests you are in the UK...
Th best speed camera database for the UK (far better than TomTom's own) is from PocketGPSWorld. It costs about £19 a year. Free lifetime subscription if you are the first to report a single new camera or change to an existing one (T+C's apply...)

I'm still bugged by you saying there's no audio set up for TomTom's own cameras though!
Is there no "TomTom Services" or "Safety Alerts"page in the preferences menu?

Hi andy,
have just added cameras to poi and now get two bongs at speed cameras no voice but bongs better than no sound at all,
regards

When you say you have "added cameras to POI" do you mean you've installed the PGPSW camera database?
If so, did you opt to download the optional voice files? Did you go through the full set-up procedure in their instructions? It should all work.

And as for TT's own warning system, what's the answer to the question in my previous post please?

Hi Andy,
My 710 has cameras showing on the maps as you approach the unit but does not give a voice warning.
In manage POIs there is a Warn When Near POI, but not cameras
As to your last post, there is no TomTtom services or Safety Alerts page in preferences menu.
My last home update did include cameras as well as the new maps. Does the cameras show up in the POIs list ie:gatsos 30, gatsos 40. So on? Because there are no cameras showing in the POIcategory?

Regards

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to be a pain, but can you please answer the questions in my previous posts?

In order to proceed, we need to know if you are trying to set up TomTom's OWN camera data or if you are now trying to set up the PocketGPS World camera database, as you seemed to imply in post #9

TomTom's OWN cameras do not show up in Manage POIs, PGPSW's do.

I can easily talk you through the set up for PGPSW's as that is done in the same way on ANY TomTom unit, , but to discuss anything with TomTom's own services is trickier for me as I don't have a Go710 in front of me and the user manual I can download is not great, so I'm doing it all from memory.

Finally, in a previous post, I asked you if there was a "TomTom Services" or "Safety Alerts" menu anywhere . I now realise I should have used the old term "TomTom Plus Services". Is there a "Plus" menu anywhere?

Hi Andy,
My unit has only TomTom cameras installed, and I am not trying to add PGPSWs.
As to TomTom Pllus services, yes I have that on my unit but I cannot get the unit to connect to my Nokia C3 phone, or my Samsung Galaxy Note, to use the services.
Regards

Last edited by a moderator:
Well you've got me there... In your first post you said you've lost the verbal warning when approaching speed camera. To my knowledge TomTom have never had verbal warnings for their own speed camera data, only a chime sound.

That's one of the reasons to change to the PGPSW ones (another is better accuracy)

What sub-menus do you have under the Plus Services menu?

Hi andy,
thanks for that i will change to pgpsw can you tell me can i just download this pspsw or do i have to remove tomtom cameras first? And what files should i download to cover the europe maps as well as uk maps. ?
Regards

Hi,

You don't have to remove any of the TomTom camera files if you don't want to, they will co-exist happily together with the PGPSW ones, but most people do turn off the TT alerts or delete their files so as to avoid getting two lots of warnings.

--------------

The PGPSW files are available in several different flavours depending on what YOU want from them.

You can either have a simple set of five files for the UK which will only differentiate between different camera TYPES (Gatso/fixed cams, mobile speed-trap sites, SPECS/average speed, Redlight, and "un-verified" mobile sites). The advantage of that version is that it's simpler and quicker to get it set-up and working.

Or you can have the full "speed zoned" set of files that splits the cameras up into the same types but then again into the different speed limits.
You'll need to opt for that version if you want to get spoken alerts saying "Warning Gatso ahead, 40 miles per hour" etc.

----------------------------

You can either download just the UK cameras, or the European ones as well (They have to be done separately as the UK ones are set up in MPH and the Euro ones are in km/h.

The disadvantage is that TomTom don't want to make it too easy for people to use a different system, so to set up all the warnings on the device is quite time consuming. For just the UK files It takes about 10 minutes of button tapping to set each speed and camera type up with a suitable distance you want to be warned at and to set the audio alert. You can double that if you add the Euro cameras too.

But thankfully you only have to do that set-up once... when you update the camera warnings each week, you just replace the data files, eveything else stays the same.

There are better instructions on the PGPSW site. Get started at www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Cameras and have a look down the right-hand side of the page for some descriptions of the options and down the bottom of the page for specific instructions for all the different SatNav brands.

I THINK you can see all of that before you register for the site and pay your subscription, but I'm not sure.

---------------

They also have their own forum like this one (I'm over there too) where you can usually get all the help and advice you need, if you run into difficulties.

Hi andy,
many thanks for your reply,
with such large files, my card is to full, if i buy a larger card can i transfer the hole of the old card onto a new card ?.
I cannot use tomtom home as i have got a new tomtom live (via 125). And tomtom has removed my 710 as you can olny have one unit at a time on tomtom so can i use my computer to copy the sd card then add the new files ? Then the wife can use it in her car,
regards

Lots of questions there!

1. Compared to the other files on the TomTom, the camera files are pretty small, so you might be OK. It's the audio alert files that take up the space (the UK full set including the data files, the icons and the audio alerts comes to 1.8MB. The Europe full set comes to around 3.2MB)

2. But yes...If you want to copy the entire contents of the SD card to a larger one, that should work fine.

3. You CAN have several devices registered with TomTom at once. All you need is a different account name for each TomTom.
The account name needs to be in the format of an email address, but it doesn't even need to be a real email, so you could have "[email protected]" and "[email protected]" as your two account names.
Just make sure you have a different one for each unit.

4. Yes, by far the easiest way to add the PGPSW camera files to the Go710 is to ignore Home completely. You just download the files they arrive as a zip archive), unzip it to produce all the individual files, then use Windows Explorer to copy them into the map folder on the TomTom (the one called "Western Europe" or "Europe" or whatever yours is called). Instructions here

5. Your subscription with PGPSW allows you to put the camera data onto upto three different SatNavs, so you can put the cameras onto the Go and the Via.
As you might have realised already, the Via uses a totally different system so your PC won't even be able to recognise it as a new dsk drive. To add ANYTHING to the Via, you need to use TomTom's new "MyTomTom" program. Instructions for all of that are on the PGPSW site again (here.

hi andy,
thank you for quick reply, have just ordered a 4gb hc class 10 sd card which is twice the size of that in the unit, so no need to remove any old files.
will let you know how i get on.
regards

Ah....
That's a pity.
your mention of "Class 10" makes it sound like you've bought an "SCHD" card (SD High Density) not a plain "SD" one. Older TomToms such as yours can't reliably use SDHC.
Plain vanilla SD cards are available but they are getting quite hard to find nowadays.

Ask a Question