TT Go710 "Unable to Store Settings" / "No maps"

A friend of mine has a Tomtom GO 710 which he has had from new several years ago & has worked perfectly until 4-5 days ago. After he had tried to update it through Tomtom Home on restarting it asked for the Settings to be inputed again then when he had entered them it came up with "Unable to Store Settings : File access Error" flashing in the top R/Hand corner. This eventually disappeared but then the screen Displayed "NO MAPS" and despite everything he was unable to get it to Launch past this. I have searched all the places possible and tried numerous solutions to resolve this issue(Press this button,Hold this button down,Use Reset etc etc) but have had little luck with the Maps Situation. I did manage to solve the File Access Error Issue with the Tomtom Clear Flash Tool but we are still stuck with the NO MAPS issue allthough on checking the SD Card there is a Western Europe
2V00.710.6.11 File on it which has various files in it. Could it be that these have become Corrupted or maybe a exe. file to run the Maps? If this is the case and as I have a Tomtom One XL Ver. 3 with"Western Europe 1GB v725.1905" Maps installed could I delete the GO 710 Map Files and Copy Mine into it. If this is not possible are there any other suggestions to rectify the "NO MAPS" situation that anyone can think of. Any assistance anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in Advance. Dave

Scorpioking

Last edited by a moderator:
I reduced the font size of your post, no need to select larger size print here.

No, sharing maps definitely will not work.

Seems the map is very old (4 years or so).

What application is on the unit? Tap the satellite bars and the next screen shows the version number.

.....on checking the SD Card there is a Western Europe 2V00.710.6.11 File on it which has various files in it.

That seems an unusual name for the map FOLDER.

What is the name of the folder which has the file 'cline.dat' inside it? It should be just "Western Europe".

Thanks to dhn & Andy P. for your prompt replies.
In answer to dhn I am unfortunately having to work from a card reader to see the files so I can't tell what version of software the GO 710 is running & Andy yes you are correct the file on the Card shows on the Reader as just Western Europe, the quoted info relates to what is printed on the SD Card Label. Sorry for the confusion. Hope this is of some help. Dave

Scorpioking

With the SD card in a card reader, you should still be able to run the TomTom Home software on your PC/Mac, and the card should be recognised as a "whole" TomTom.

Does that work in your case? Can you run the on-screen emulator "Operate my Go"?

Hi Andy Quick Reply as I've tried 5 times now and keep getting signed out.???????
Yes to your question Andy, Card in card reader kicks off Tomtom HOME and I can check for updates which are downloaded ie. GPS/Satellite Updates & installed. It then goes to show Map/Location as it would in the actual Go 710 and comes up with the dreaded "No Maps" in center of screen. It is in a sense working if I could only get past the "No Maps" issue. Could there be a missing/corrupt exe. file associated with the Map Folder execution that I can delete/replace or can you think of anything else it could be to point me in the right direction. You know sometimes when something is staring you in the face. Thank for all your time and advise, it's appreciated. Cheers. Dave

Scorpioking

Clutching at straws a bit....

The first thing I think of when presented with a "No maps found" message is the clearflash tool.

Can you humour me and try running it THREE times? I've no idea why, but it's something you often see suggested on the forums.

Also, have you tried deleting the MapSettings.cfg file from the Western Europe folder completely? (a new one will be created when the TomTom is next switched on).

My last thought for tonight... it's possible that a very old software version may not be able to cope with a new version of map. We need to find your software version.
Look for the ttgo.bif file on the SD card and open it in Notepad.
About the 8th and 9th lines down should read something like
ApplicationVersionVersionNumber=9058
ApplicationVersion=568435.1

That would mean v9.058 software (yours will be a lower number)

You could also try replacing all the software.
First make a FULL backup by copying everything from the SD card to a new folder on your PCusing Windoows Explorer (DON'T use Home for this job)

Then delete all the files that are NOT inside a folder - (leave all the folders and their contents alone).

Then connect to Home and it should offer the latest version of the software.

After that, if no-one else has any bright ideas, I'm afraid your friend may have to consider buying a new map.

Hi Andy, Once again thanks very much for your replies mate, appreciated. I will give all your suggestions a very good go and see if it can be resolved(Must be honest don't like loosing on these sort of things) but we have to be realistic & call it a draw sometime. It may be a couple of days before I can sort all suggestions out as I have a couple of days running about trying to sort out a house for one of my daughters who's moving back over here from Scarborough but I will post you and let you know of the outcome asap.
Very much appreciate all your help/assistance and of course the Forum. It's nice to know that there are still people about who are willing to try & help and pass on knowledge & tips etc picked up over the years or learnt along the way. Best Regards. Will be in touch next few days. Dave.
Scorpioking

Ask a Question