Updating Map for GO710. What do you get?

TomTom Model(s)
GO 710
Hi to all,

I'm new to this forum, but hope to spend some time here.

I'm still having trouble getting my head around how a strange female knows all the streets where I drive, so please bare with me.

I have had a GO710 for about 5 years now and have been very happy with it, however since moving south, we find ourselves driving in Melbourne more often and naturally the map is out of date.

I was considering purchasing a new map, but then thought I might be better off updating my unit.

My question is,

"What do you get when updating the map"?

Does this add new features to your unit such as "Advanced lane guidance", "IQ Routes" or "Map share"?

Or is it just the map?

I don't use MP3 or Bluetooth because I never seem to have a compatible mobile, so was considering the XL 340. Harvey Norman have them on special at $228, so about $100 more than the map.

I do have one problem with my unit in that it tries to connect to the computer or shut down every time I hit a bump, and in a Patrol this is quite frequent. It's not that bigger issue that I can't modify it in some way.

Any help or thoughts on purchasing a new unit would be appreciated.

Cheers Graham

The interface between the x10 and its car mount is a long and well documented issue, to be honest with the age of the device the battery will be on its way out as well so I would probably go with a new device rather than updating a 4+ year old sat nav - Mike

The interface between the x10 and its car mount is a long and well documented issue, to be honest with the age of the device the battery will be on its way out as well so I would probably go with a new device rather than updating a 4+ year old sat nav - Mike

Thanks for your reply Mike,

To be honest I didn't even give the battery a second thought. I guess because I always use it with power, but it is a good point.

Knowing 'Murphy' as I do, I can guarantee if I updated the map, that same day the battery would go or the mount would snap in half, so I will take your advice.

Out of curiosity though, are the features I mentioned, part of the map or of the unit?

Many thanks,
Graham

Out of curiosity though, are the features I mentioned, part of the map or of the unit?

Many thanks,
Graham
IQ and ALG are both functions of the newer firmware and maps. Your 710 won't handle the newer version 8 firmware and beyond (you're stuck at 7.903), so even with the new maps, you wouldn't get the benefit of the new features. As Mike suggests, a new unit is probably in order.

Ask a Question