GO710 unit with "510" sd card - what problems?

TomTom Model(s)
GO710
I recently bought a 710 on ebay, and have been using it with only newbie problems.
Thinking about upgrading the maps, I tracked down the screen with the version numbers - ver. 7.903(9183/081205) and map ver. 650.1046.
Taken aback by finding TomTom GO 510 at the top of the screen.

I'd be grateful if anyone could reassure this old codger, that 1. I can update the maps successfully, and 2. I haven't bought a pig in a poke.

Regards
John

The Go510 and Go710 were identical hardware, only the pre-supplied maps were different. I can't remember if a 710 actually called itself a 510 on-screen, but I'm fairly sure TomTom's own utility program "Home" used to do so.
You can still buy maps for the 710. See here (that's the UK version of the TT website, I'm guessing you are from the UK?)

Note you are likely to need a new, larger SD card.
The Go710 can only accept the plain "SD" cards, not the newer high capacity "SDHC" cards

That means you will probably be restricted to a 2GB card (there are a few non-HC 4GB cards about, but they are quite hard to find and you have to be careful what you buy as some on-line sellers do not give very accurate descriptions and just call everything an "SD card".

Note also there is a "Western Europe" map, and a "Europe" map. Different coverage and different sizes.

You may also need a software update but I'm 90% sure vv7.903 *is* the latest.

Have you downloaded TomTom "Home" yet?
You'll need that to buy and download the map and it will also tell you if there are any other files which need updating.

Hi Andy,
Yes, UK it is, Norfolk to be more precise.
Thanks for the info, and yes I have installed Home.
Seeing the price of having to download both a new map and the updates at the same time, I've hung back to think about it.
It's also given me more time to explore and read opinions of long term users, and it was this that led me to discover the anomaly with my own unit.

Re the card size, I see on the screen already mentioned that there is 61M ram, with 26.6M free, which I assume is mainly taken up by Navigator 7(guessing), but no info on the card.
I'll have to go into XP to explore that(I'm running Ubuntu at the moment, and not knowledgeable enough to find how to get all the file sizes displayed)
Enough, enough.......
Thanks again,
John

As its got a 256MB card installed it will only have the UK&ROI map loaded to it, if you want to update it you could do with a new map purchased through Home, if you want the Western_Europe map installed then you will need a new SD card (preferably 4GB but it must be SD and NOT SDHC).

The 710/ 510 use identical hardware only the map loaded and capacity of the memory card installed differed between the two models - Mike

Thanks, Mike. I've just sent off a query to a possible seller of a 4GB card that what he's offering is indeed SD and not SDHC.

John

Trancend and TopRam are two manufacturers of 4GB SD cards that are known to work in the earlier TomTom products such as your 710 - Mike

I bought one for a friend recently from an eBay shop which seems to work OK.

The brand name is "Platinum" and there is a German website listed on the back of the bubble pack. B E S T M E D I A - Produkte

Ask a Question