GO 730 Version 8.302 upgrade not good

TomTom Model(s)
GO 730
I just not long ago (within the hour) updated the firmware of my GO 730 to Version 8.302, and now I have a useless SatNav!!!
After a succesful update, I found I could not turn on the device. I plugged it back into the desk dock and found I could turn it on in computer mode.
So, I decided to restore it to my previous (and working) setup. But, now it shuts down at anytime and doesnt allow a restore!!!
I have tried a reset, but with no luck, it will not start up in Nav mode at all, and will not stay on long enough in PC mode to fix it!!!!
Anyone know how to fix this?????

Further to this, I decided to go and plug it in to the car charger and see what happens.
To my astonishment, it turned on, and switched to Nav (car) mode.
BUT. If I unplug it from a power source, and try to turn it on, it does not start!!!!
It's only a few weeks old so I dont think the battery could be faulty, AND, it worked fine before the update!!!

Does the computer 'see' the unit and did you make a backup prior to upgrading the firmware?

If the answer is 'yes' to those questions, then restore the backed up file.

Plug it into your auto charger and leave it till it's fully charged. Your battery might be down a bit and the USB port may not be supplying enough power to charge and power the unit at the same time. I suspect that's why it'll operate normally when plugged into the car charger. The units do funny things when the battery gets low.

Does the computer 'see' the unit and did you make a backup prior to upgrading the firmware?

If the answer is 'yes' to those questions, then restore the backed up file.
Yes the computer see's the unit, and yes I have a backup of the previous firmware.
As stated though, the unit shuts down by itself when trying to do a restore.
Sometimes it only stays connected for 5 seconds or so...

Last edited:
Plug it into your auto charger and leave it till it's fully charged. Your battery might be down a bit and the USB port may not be supplying enough power to charge and power the unit at the same time. I suspect that's why it'll operate normally when plugged into the car charger. The units do funny things when the battery gets low.
Thanks. I will leave it to charge today.
Strange thing is, it was showing near full charge when I started the update yesterday...

It seems it was the battery that was causing the problem.
I have given the 730 a good charge with a mains adapter/charger, so I'll see if the battery holds charge, or if it's faulty.
I managed to do a backup through TT home, but when I disconnected, and tried to start the device in Nav mode, it would not start. I had to do a pin reset to get it to fire up. I've never had that problem before!!!
Seems fine now, but I'll keep an eye on the battery...

Ask a Question