GO 730 issues

Hi all,

New here, so please bear with me.

I bought the GO730 in March 09 and think its great, I have had no problems at all. Then 2 days ago I decided to show my appreciation to TOMTOM by purchasing the latest map update for Australia.....then every thing went wrong.

With the unit on and in the car it occasionally switches to the main menu screen like I touched the screen. I thought that it might be a vibration problem, but it does it with the car turned off.

The screen automatically 'zooms in' even though that option is disabled.

On turning the vehicle off the 'auto shutdown' screen appears (as the way I like it) and then it goes back to the main menu.....again, just like I aborted the option...which I do not!

I am sometimes unable to switch between screens on the menu, even though the appropriate soft button flashes that I have pressed it.

The screen sometimes does not activate the appropriate button that I press, like the screen alignment is not correct.

It seems for me the best option would be to 'downgrade' to the previous version, if that is at all possible.
I do not have a backup of the previous version... as I thought that I would not need it.

I have also tried an explorer reformat and restore, cleaned the screen, reset the device, both via the system interface and the reset button.

I have an expensive paper weight at this time and am not happy, especially after spending AUD 100 on the new upgraded map/navcore.

Please help.

Kylra

Last edited:
To be honest it sounds like some grit has got between the screen and the screen surround, try using the corner of a business card inserted in to the gap between the surround and screen, run this around the whole screen a few times to see if anything can be removed from the gap - its surprising what does build up in way of dust etc in this gap, too much and it can exert pressure on the screen leading to the menu selections jumping around - Also if you have a screen protector fitted to the device please remove it.

Try the above then please report back with the version number installed to the device, tap the sat strength meter followed by the version box to locate this information - Mike

Ask a Question