GO 730 ghost tapping issues

So I am waiting for my FOURTH GO 730 to arrive from the TomTom RMA center.

My first unit, bought brand new, lasted about 6-months before it started to tapping itself, with the TomTom almost always ending up trying to direct me to the nearest Police Station, by foot!

I called customer service several times, and performed several diagnostics before TT agreed it was a hardware issue and told me to return it for a new unit.

The new unit (#2) turned out to be a refurbished GO 730. I updated the map and added my favorites and within 3 days, it was also directing me to the nearest police station....

Again, several calls and diagnostics later, TT told me to send it back for a new one. A third re-furbished unit arrived. This time, I turned it on right out of the box (never touched my computer) and I was not able to complete the new user set up as it kept on tapping itself faster than I could advance to the next screen. This time, it only took one call and no diagnostics. The TT customer service said that GO 730s with the letter 'I" in the serial number had that problem and that it had been corrected. I was told to send the unit back and expect a Brand New unit with the corrected hardware (and presumably without the "I" in the serial number.

I just received an RMA confirmation stating that a fourth 'Refurbished" unit had just been shipped to me. I called TT Customer support and the person said that ALL GO 730s have an "I" on the serial number, that I will never get a new GO 730 because they are not made anymore, and that he wasn't sure what the other customer service rep was talking about.

Needless to say I feel I've been taken for a ride. We'll see how this unit performs...

The usual reason for the menu "jumping" around is grit stuck in between the screen and the surrounding bezzel, if you find a device doing this the easy fix is to insert the corner of a business card into the gap between the bezzel and screen then run it all the way around the edge of the screen to dig any debris out.

What kind of Ovlov you driving BTW - Mike

I just returned a 730 for this very same reason. I tried the business card trick but it didn't work for me. I think the customer service rep was feeding you a line about the 730 not being available. I just received as my replacement under warranty (I had bought it at Best Buy less than 30 days ago) a brand new sealed in box GO 730.

I haven't even had a chance to crack it open yet to see if the problem is still persistent. I'll check my serial number too.

Later...

So far, no issues with the new GO 730. One thing I did notice is that the speech seems a little better on this unit. In particular, my old unit would pronounce a city beginning with St. (i.e. St. Louis) as "Street Louis" but now it pronounces it correctly ("Saint Louis").

By the way, there is an "I" in my serial number. We'll see if I get the same issues mentioned in this thread.

Later...

https://www.tomtomforums.com/images/smilies/smile.gif Fixed for now.

I have had the same problem. First I was thinking that it was related to the update which I have done two days ago. But after reading about the card trick I decided to try it. I did not use the card, I used my nail tips to pull plastic frame away from the screen. I did it on all sides and it stopped jumping for now. I will let you know if it will come back :)

Same problem on Go 630

Hi there I have the same problem on my GO 630. I have replaced it before but the second one started doing it as well. I have tried the card trick and it worked will keep you posted.

Thanks
Johan:)

HI There it has now been 7 days since I tried the card trick, as indicated above it worked and so far it is still fine. No Police station info any more. Try the card trick as it worked for me. Thanks to all that sugested it. Wonder when TomTom will admit to this problem as there are a lot of these units doing the same thing.

Johan:)

Last edited:
same thing on GO 630

The new GO 630 that I got for Christmas has the same problem. I tried all of the stupid resets they have you do when you contact support. Now I will hopefully get an RMA so I can send it back. But it sounds like this is a chronic problem. I wish they would just refund my money so I could buy another brand.

GO 730 Ghost Tapping

Had the same problem. Tried the business card around the edge and used a toothpick too. Didn't fix it. Called TomTom tech support. Girl was a little on the blunt/rude side but solved the problem. Hooked my 730 up to the computer , opened TomTom Home, went to manage my device, then items on my device, clicked applications, selected checkbox next to "GO 530, GO 730, GO, 930., did a remove item from device, then went to update my device,. It found the application again, ran the update. PROBLEM SOLVED!!!

Lucky for you!
Unfortunately, re-installing the application software (which is what you did) doesn't solve this problem for most people. It definitely seems to be a hardware, nor software, issue.

The reason I couldn't find my 720 the other day to answer the *.itn question was that it was busy heat cycling on the workbench in the basement (duh). Still no problems to report, but it will take a while. I don't want to accelerate the test much so as to avoid deformation of the plastic that would only occur under higher than possible (in a car) temperatures. It's been just under a week so far, but that's not much in the grand scheme of a typical device's use.

Don't know how well I'll do - the 630/730 have a slightly different design there.

Go 630

After contacting TomTom support about the same problem with my TWO GO 630's and trying all of the sugggestions provided by "support" I was offered a $10.00 credit to buy a new Tom Tom at the Tom Tom site. :mad: I told them I'd rather buy from the competition.

I have been seing with this from day one. Since I bought it in the USA and live in Brazil no warranty or even support for me.

I had been seeing the craziness on and off until one day it got so intense that would prevent the thing from finishing booting. I opened, cleaned the bezel and sticked a screen cover to it. Not a single failure for a couple of months. Then I went to Italy and in the middle of the highway it went jumpy. I did mange to get to the hotel from listening to the voice hints.

I opened it again (isn't it a wonderful thing to have to travel with a torx key set?), purchased an iPad antiglare screen cover and cut it bigger than the entire screen. Sticked it there and cut it around the entire screen, covering even the contacts on the bottom. Then trimmed around it to allow the bezel to fit back. It is working fine now, let's see for how long.

That's an interesting solution... Normally we specifically say to REMOVE any screen protectors, as they are known to cause "phantom presses" as they get older.

That's an interesting solution... Normally we specifically say to REMOVE any screen protectors, as they are known to cause "phantom presses" as they get older.
In my case the screen protectors aways improved the situation. And again, for me, the first random tapping started in the same day I removed it from the box here in Brazil, no protectors installed.

I have a 630 with the same issue--ghost jumping. I tried the card trick but it didn't work. What I did notice was that when I lifted the outer bezel in the area that was jumping, the ghost jumping stopped. I then noticed that under the bezel something didn't look right. Upon further inspection I observed the rubber gasket under the bezel wasn't sitting right. Since the unit was pretty much useless to me the way it was behaving, I decided to remove the gasket by lifting the bezel and grabbing hold with a long needle. I pulled the whole gasket out and have now been using the unit for two weeks and counting without any issues at all. I believe that all of you with this issue might want to think about doing this to give this unit a new life. Hope this works for all of you who are at wits end.

Replacing the screen won't help if it's a problem of warping of the bezel/gasket. The bezel is a separate part - the screen is underneath. As the post above yours notes, the touch screen isn't the problem.

Screen Replacement

Thanks for the reply. I took the bezel and gasket off and turned the unit on and ghost touch still occurred. The screen is clean. I have re-formatted the unit and done all of the fixes given by Tomtom. Any other thoughts?

thanks

Interesting - you may actually have a touch panel issue. It's not something we see often.

You don't have a screen protector on that unit, do you?

If not, I suppose the next step would be a new LCD/touchscreen assembly. The touchscreen can be purchased separately from 3rd party sources, but requires a fair bit more expertise to install than does the assembly, also available from 3rd party sources. Problem is, I've not seen the sold new for much less than $55. Example: http://www.aliexpress.com/fm-store/...display-with-touch-screen-digitizer-lens.html

This outfit, about which I know zilch, is an exception at a mere $28. http://krazeekrazees.com/selected-krazees-part/gps-lcd-screen-p642.php

What model do you have? Another 630?

Thanks for the reply. I took the bezel and gasket off and turned the unit on and ghost touch still occurred. The screen is clean. I have re-formatted the unit and done all of the fixes given by Tomtom. Any other thoughts?

thanks
I had the exact same problem, went against what's usualy advised here and it's working for 3 months now.

With bezel and gasket off, get a bigger screen protector (like an iPad sized one). Stick it to the screen covering everything, including the screen gray bezel and the contacts. Trim it around the screen and close the unit.

Ask a Question