GO 730 fails to connect to PC

TomTom Model(s)
Go 730
After some inactivity, connected my TT to the PC. Home initialized and stated I neede new app as well as the usual map corrections and GPS quick fix. Downloaded all. The Home stated that it will turn off and restart the TT.

After that NO more function. My PC does not see it, on power up it asks the usual "Do you want to connect to the computer?" TT does NOT respond to "yes" or "No". Out of the dock it powers up
then asks if I want to share personal information. TT doe NOT respond to "yes" "no" or "more information". I have a delivery back up on my PC but obviously can not restore since I can not connect. PC Device Manager does NOT see the TT in its listing.

Is there help, or do I have an expensive paper weight?

Need to clarify one thing. You said "TT does NOT respond to "yes" or "No". What did you mean by that. That the unit itself does not acknowledge when you press either button (what does it do, stick on that screen???), or that there is no PC connection regardless of which button you push?

Try resetting the unit. Take a paperclip and gently press the reset button on the bottom side for a few seconds.

When touching the screen for either yes OR no, the TT does not respond and continues to display the question.
Using the reset, the TT connects the first time and works as advertised with the PC. Second and subsequent connections do NOT respond to the yes Or no on the TT touch screen. Different USB port, no change.
Out of dock, RESET, power on, TT goes to disclaimer page and DOES NOT respond to"I Accept.

Sounds as though you have a more generic issue with the touch screen responding to you - not specifically related to any connection to the PC.

In your shoes, I would start over with the firmware load.

First, back your unit up per this procedure:
https://www.tomtomforums.com/t17864-how-backup-contents-your-unit-computer-how-restore.html

• Do the reset you described as needed to get your unit connected to your PC. Ignore Home for the moment (just minimize it when it comes up).
  • Using your PC, delete all of the loose files in the root of your unit. DO NOT DELETE ANY FOLDERS.
  • Disconnect your unit properly and reconnect.
  • Now it's time to deal with Home. Upon connection of your unit, It will discover that there is no application on your unit and will suggest one for installation. If it suggests something earlier than 9.430, go ahead and let it install that version first. If an earlier version was offered, disconnect and reconnect your unit properly again, and Home will finally recommend 9.430 to you for installation.
Once you have the firmware reloaded, let us know how that works and we'll take it from there.

The problem is pure touch screen. I tried all of your suggestions, and the symptoms remain. Any action requiring input from the touch screen are not recognized. It appears to me to be more of a hardware issue than anything else. The best TT can provide is a 20% discount on a new unit since my unit is out of warranty.

Guess I go back to a paper and folding navigation system.

Thank you all for the help,

Gerhard

That 730 is a nice unit. Is it worth $50 or so to you on the chance that replacing the touch screen/LCD assembly will fix it for you? If so, it's not a difficult job.

Thank you again for the advice. I did not know sub assemblies for the TT are available. Since I reduced my traveling and used the TT mostly as an MP# player, I think I'll use the $50 to by a new MP3 player.

Should I change my mind, where and how can I get a TT touch screen assembly?

Gerhard

Thanks for the input on replacement parts. The outfit in Minneapolis offers a refurbished GO 730 for less than $100. The thing I liked best with my old unit was the MP3 player, although the fm portion was pretty useless in large metropolitan areas (Atlanta, Dallas, Miami) because most of the fm band is allocated. When I run out of things to do, maybe I will attempt to repair my Go 730. Of course I only suspect that my problem is with the touch screen assembly and I don't know how to confirm that.

Gerhard

Well, I bought a complete touchscreen and digitizer assembly. Still no luck. The screen lights up and the usual disclaimer is displayed but it does NOT recognize my "I AGREE" from the touchscreen.

I followed canderson procedures (from5-4-2012) and there is no change. It appeared to update the firmware and after reset the PC way of operation was fine. Disconnect, and it does not work.

Gerhard

Very unusual that a unit won't respond to a touch screen, especially a new one! There's evidently something deeper and more unusual broken on this unit that it gives you the symptom you have. If you purchased the entire screen assembly, that even eliminates the flex cable, though not the connector, which is a right bugger to replace in any case. I don't know what else to suggest to you.

I was not sure if it was the touchscreen or something closely connected to it (connector, filters, etc.). Just took a gamble that did not pan out.

Oh well.......

Ask a Question