GO 730 fails when installing v.8.351

TomTom Model(s)
GO 730
I am installing using the HOME application.
While installing the 8.351 version on a 16GB SD card the installation fails while copying the file "data.chk" and then the installation process stops after copying 30 directories and 307 files.
The resulting file on the SD card is 0 bytes.

Due to the large size of the Europe map I need to install to the SD card.

Is there another way of installing?

Regards

Olav

Is it a sdhc card or a sd card? Should be the former. Try formatting the sdhc card (don't use quickformat) and try again. But I'm curious....... the proper application for that device is 9.510. Why are you trying to install an earlier application?

Hi,
1. It is a SD HC card, I also tried with a SDC card with the same result.
I am able to see the files on the SD card and read the files from the card back to the PC when it is installed in the 730.
However, writing seems to be the problem here.
The card is OK, I can copy to it when it is installed in a card reader.

2. I install v 8.351 because that is what Home downloaded to me, calling it the latest version.
The GO 730 worked fine until Home started to mess up with downloading and installing the "new" version. At this point it refuses to start, probably because I am halfway installing a newer version.

When installing to the built-in memory (no SD card in the 730, the installation halts copying the same file, data.chk.

I tried to reset the unit, and got the info screen in the enclosed image, but that gives me no clues to what is wrong.

I tried to copy from Windows explorer, but it stops at the same file.
I tried to unzip the cab file with WinRAR targetting the SD card inside the 730, but that also halts at the same file.
Somethings indicate that the problem is when copying large files, as small files seems to copy ok on a one-after-the-other-basis.

Is there a lo\ink somewhere to the 9.510 so I can try and install it without the Home application?

Regards
Olav

The startup screen looks like this after a reset:

TomTom GO (TM) (c) TomTom 2003-2008 Build 2000
Hardware type: TomTom GO 730
Sub ID (feature) 0 1: 0004 (0000000000000000)
Bootloader version: S5.5015 clist #176371 RVCT
Checksum: 7E76
Compiled at: Apr 19 2008 15:56:33
Memory: 64 MB
CPU ID: 32443001
Clocks: 396.000 132.000 66.000
GPS type: SIRF 3
TFT Type: Samsung LTE430WQ
SD Card capacity: 15339520 kByte
Internal FLASH capacity: 2007040 kByte
Movinand version (PRV): 1B
Startup mode: Power down
Device ID: J47178I004UY
Bluetooth mac address: 00:13:6C:BA:DE:D5
Touchscreen calib.data: 86 917 157 833
Battery boot voltage: 3860 mV
RTC: 00:00:57 01/01/2000

After displaying this screen nothing more happens until I attach it to the PC and HOME starts up trying (yet again) to install the 8.351 version, which in turn fails every time.

Usually if you can't write to a specific file on SD card, the filestructure is corrupt. A quickformat of the SD will fix it.

Copy everything in the map folder from the SDHC card to your desktop. Then format the card, then copy everything back.

Then disconnect the Tomtom with the SDHC plugged in, let it startup until you see a red X, then plug it back to the computer and have home do the update. Home needs to install 8.351 first then it will install 9.510, because the 9.510 file is only a partial update and needs some of the prior files.

I would highly recommend you follow dhn's advise and download/install navcore 9.510.
My May 2012 map subscription installment failed until I switched from 8.351 (best one ever) to 9.510 on my GO 930.

After reinstalling HOME, all my backups, maps and activation keys were wiped by the TomTom program. I am currently in an undeleting process, and will try your suggestions as soon as I have regained my lost files.
'
Thanks

I pushed the install procedure a number of times, and then gradually it wrote more and more files to the SD card. I managed to install the program, now I am struggling with the map files where I have the same problem with the larger files.

Last edited:
But if you CAN install it to the SD card in a card reader, what happens when you then insert the sd card into the device and boot up the device?

Well, well, well...

For the record:
This all looks like a power problem. This gadget sucks more power than my USB port can deliver.
Since I cannot locate the bay that came with the device, I have had all these problems.
I planned to run the installation through an external powered hub, but since my USB hub is 3.0, that did not work.
I finally located a special USB cable that drains power from two USB ports on the PC, and when installing with this cable everything seems to work ok with regards to the installation. The map is installed and the 9.51 version has been installed.

Thanks for the help I got along the way.

Regards
Olav

Is it a sdhc card or a sd card? Should be the former. Try formatting the sdhc card (don't use quickformat) and try again. But I'm curious....... the proper application for that device is 9.510. Why are you trying to install an earlier application?
@dhn
Since the OP's code (down rev as it may be) is > 8.302, he should be able to use an SDHC card, shouldn't he?

canderson said:
dhn said:
Since the OP's code (down rev as it may be) is > 8.302, he should be able to use an SDHC card, shouldn't he?
It would have to be a SDHC card as I never heard of anything larger than 8GB for plain SD cards and even they were as scarce as hen's teeth.
Why installing an earlier application?
Guess just as it was with me in May/June 2012 when I was on 8.302.
HOME first installed to 8.351. It then went ahead and installed 9.340 and it then installed the map.
I presume that in Olav's case it went straight to 9.510 after installing 8.351 first.

Ask a Question