Go 720 SD Map Issue

I have a Go 720 with NA Map; I purchased a Western Europe SD Card map but I cannot switch maps. If I uninstall the NA map and have the SD card in, it freezes the unit at boot and I need to reset.

SD Card map is 2008 PN 5A01.013.8.02

The packaging says GO ONE & One Xl but the fine print states Go 710. I don;t think Go 710 was available in North America.

Grumpy
:mad:

If you put the card in a card reader, is trhere anything on it besides a map folder? In other words, are there loose files not in any folder?

If there are, the 720 will try to boot from the card and the app for the 710 (or whatever) won't work on a 720.

I think what you want to do is delete the loose files from the card so ONLY a map folder is there. But make an Explorer backup first.

My concern is that there may be some loose file on the card that is not part of the application but is there to lock the map to the card. I'm just not sure............

Thanks for the quick reply but.....

So what if I just copy the map to another SD card? I'm still curious as to why is does not ask about switching maps (only 1 map shows)

Where did you get the Western Europe map on a card? Didn't think they were sold in North America.

Oh Oh

I got the card off of eBay - sealed. I copied just the maps to another SD card but it says maps cannot be used on this device. Guess I have 2 strikes (money and useless map). Guess I gotta buy the map

@#$%^&*grrrrrrrrrrrrr :mad:
Grumpy

As I understand it, maps are identifiable with each device ? verified with the device's serial number. This is done to protect against illegal copies or copyright infringement. Also, every map will not work with every model of TomTom. Some have to be reduced in size somewhat for them to fit.

In the case of the SD card, I believe that the map is tied to the serial number of the card such that it cannot be copied to another card, but can be moved between units.

To the OP - you can't copy the map to another card. See above. With the SD card installed, if you go to "Change Preferences", what happens when you select "Manage Maps"? Do you see a "Switch Map"?

Yes I see switch map but when tried map does not work with this device message.

Thanks everyone but TOMTOM Support says no matter what I do the map will not function. If I remember correctly something about license and TT Model association

I just have to buy and download a new map. One thing odd the packaging states TT 710 but tech support said 710 did not have a SD slot..

One thing odd the packaging states TT 710 but tech support said 710 did not have a SD slot..
Probably hasn't been there long enough to know. The 710 (ca. 2006) had no internal storage - ONLY SD! :eek:

In fact, for the 710 model, I believe everything had to run from a sd slot as there was no internal storage on that unit.

Supermod mikealder who is uk based may appear in this thread to confirm my understanding. Or correct me ... :eek:

If you bought a legitimate Tomtom SD-card map, it will be locked to the SD card's serial number. So you can't run the copy, you'll need to run the map on the original physical SD card from ebay.

Do this:
1) Use explorer to backup everything on the new map SD card (follow similar steps to this)
2) use winrar to extract the contents of this file onto the SD card, overwriting when necessary
3) start up the Tomtom (it may still say no-maps found, that's OK)
4) after it fully starts up, plug the Tomtom into your computer, open Tomtom HOME, and run "update my GO". Keep re-updating until no new application is offered.
5) properly disconnect, and start up the Tomtom. See if the Western Europe map works

Ask a Question