go 630 vs. xl 340s vs.?

TomTom Model(s)
GO 730
so my beloved TT One died (from what i can gather) and am in the market for a new one.

after just really quickly doing some research, i sorta like either the go 630 or the xl 340s. now i know the go has a little more features and therefore costs a little more, but i was wondering if anyone had an opinion as to which of these has the better "bang-for-the-buck". i don't mind paying a little more for the 630...if it's worth it!

i am also open to suggestions on other models i may not have researched (i didn't look at every gps in existence).

any thoughts would be appreciated.

thanks in advance! :):):)

One thing to consider is the 630 can handle a sdhc card, I believe, which allows for flexibility in handling maps, etc.

The 340S is limited to the 2-gigs built in.

hi dhn,

yes i also considered that. but i guess i was just trying to see what had the best bangforthebuck.

from the little research i did, some people stated that for the most part you don't need to spend more money.

others like the features but wasn't sure if spending that much more was worth it.

still others thought it was definitely worth it!

you can see my confusion.

btw, i was also reading about how the updated maps didn't fit on the 340 when they did it. later on, some people stated they seemed to have shrunk the map and now it's okay...though i don't know how much space is left for other stuff.

do you know if there is still an issue with the lack of space on the 340? why did they make TT with such a barely tolerable flash memory?

also, do you happen to know if the 630 definitely has the better chip (sirf) than the 340? that might make it worth it? :confused:

I think the 630 has the sirf chip while the 340S carries the Hammerhead but don't bet the farm on it.

Yes, TT finally did release a properly 'squished' map to fit the 340 storage. But they did screw up with the 830 and the inital 835 map. Hopefully, they won't screw up again next month with the 840 map for the 340S. But, don't bet the farm on that, either.........:(

I have no idea about the 630 but I own the 340s since 10 days and love it so far. I had no problem updated the 835 map as I deleted from the device before installing the map any voice that I did not need it.
Before installing the map I updated the application to 8414 but before I could updated vista used to tell me that I have error with my TT so I did scan and fixed some problems after that everything went smooth up to date.

For me GPS is about navigation and routing, I do not care for bluetooth nor for pic viewer nor for movie player or any other extras for that matter so save your money and get the 340s as it has the most features that the more expenses GO devices have for hafl of their price.

Good luck.

For me GPS is about navigation and routing, I do not care for bluetooth nor for pic viewer nor for movie player or any other extras for that matter so save your money and get the 340s as it has the most features that the more expenses GO devices have for hafl of their price.

Good luck.

thanks leggy and to all

yes, i have the same idea with you leggy, just plain GPS for navigation
but now again XL 335 S, so many to choose from, and i like 5" screen as well
could not decide at this point

thanks again to all
have a nice day

Ask a Question