Go 630, XL 340S and XXL 540S

hello

other than the features
what the different between the Go and XL
specifically are these two using the same navigation chip set and software version
how about in XXL 540S will there be newer chip set and or software version
i do not mean map version
out of the above 3 which one will you buy (price ignored) and why
if my questions does not make any sense please forgive

thanks in advance

Tomtom stopped announcing the GPS chipset after the x10 series.

There are 2 chipsets primarilly in use. Most XL models use a globallocate chipset, and most GO models use a sirfstar chipset.

The only way to tell (other than disassembly) is to download quickgpsfix and see what the filename is in your ephem folder on the Tomtom.

packedephemeris.dat = Sirfstar III
lto.dat = globallocate

The Sirfstar is a higher-end chipset, which does a better job of picking up a signal.

My best guess is that the 630 is sirfstar, 340 is global locate, and 540 will be global locate, but I haven't seen anyone confirm via their ephem files yet.

Regarding software version, the 340S ships with 8.410 and is upgradeable to 8.414. The 630 ships with 8.016 and is upgradable to 8.351. And the 540 hasn't been sold yet so I don't know its software.

app 8.4 is a newer refresh. More stable (except for USB connections), and it has "clear route" moved to a more logical location.

Last edited:

Ask a Question