GO 530 question - Motorway preferences

TomTom Model(s)
GO 530
As my wife doesnt like Motorways, i set my preferences to avoid Motorways, yet im still being directed to Motorways, have i missed something please thank you...Ray:confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
The problem is that, for some reason, what you consider a motorway isn't being interpreted by the app reading the map information as being a motorway.

You might choose under planning preferences for 'always plan for limited speeds'. That may work.

Or, when a route is planned, you can select an alternate route which avoids part of the route and then select the motorway to avoid.

The problem is that, for some reason, what you consider a motorway isn't being interpreted by the app reading the map information as being a motorway.

You might choose under planning preferences for 'always plan for limited speeds'. That may work.

Or, when a route is planned, you can select an alternate route which avoids part of the route and then select the motorway to avoid.
Ah right thank you dhn cheers:)

As my wife doesnt like Motorways, i set my preferences to avoid Motorways, yet im still being directed to Motorways, have i missed something please thank you...Ray:confused:

Which Motorways does it think are not motorways? Just interested.....

Do you have your preferences set to "Always avoid" or to "Ask me"? (The wording seems to vary a little between different models, but it should be similar to this.)

I have heard of an complaint that when a unit is set to "Ask me" about car pool lanes and it is then told to avoid them, it may act as if the answer was to use car pool lanes. I have not seen that myself, but if it is valid then you may be seeing a similar situation.

Accordingly, if you are currently telling the unit to "Ask me", you might try using "Always avoid".

With best wishes,
- Tom -

@-et-
I've seen that and it's been reported, but as a function of having either an RDS receiver or Live traffic that finds a 'better' route. When it sees a quicker route, it forgets that the unit is configured to "ask" about toll roads and carpool lanes, so if you accept the new route, you won't know if you're being directed to one of these or not. Only if you select "Never" will traffic re-routing correctly avoid them.

@canderson
I'm going from memory, but I swear that I recall a complaint that was related to just routine routing, and did not require the GPS seeing a faster route. However, at this point in life I would not want to bet on the accuracy of my memory.

In any event, if the OP wishes to avoid motorways and has been using "Ask me", it might be worth changing the settings to "Always avoid" on the chance that this might help.

With best wishes,
- Tom -

Ask a Question