Go 530 in passive/open mode?

TomTom Model(s)
go 530
I would like to use my Go 530 without setting a destination, but still using the road speed limit information and the speed camera information. Is this possible?

Many thanks.

Hi,

that is possible. Just don't plan a route or if your device tries to continue with the previous used route delete that route. Afterwards you should find yourself having the map on your device's screen just as if you had a paper map.

Regards
Lars.

Do be aware that if you use one of the alternative speed camera databases (usually better than TomTom's own offering), then in the set-up for each POI camera type up, you have to make sure you DON'T tick the "warn only when on route" option.

Do be aware that if you use one of the alternative speed camera databases (usually better than TomTom's own offering), then in the set-up for each POI camera type up, you have to make sure you DON'T tick the "warn only when on route" option.
I've done exactly that with my XXL540 and it seems to work correctly for red-light cameras. (I am not aware of any speed cameras in my local area.) What is the issue with checking "Warn only when on route" when using third-party POI files?

- Tom -

Andy was referring to the OP's question whether safety cameras could be seen when no route was established. Andy's advice was correct (as usual) in this case.............

Andy was referring to the OP's question whether safety cameras could be seen when no route was established. Andy's advice was correct (as usual) in this case.............
Interesting - I was not aware that the safety cameras would not show when no route was established if you have selected "Do not show when not on route".

I assumed that this function would apply to the street on which you are driving, regardless of whether or not a route was specified - and that it was intended only to prevent a false positive from a parallel street that is within the alert distance specified. I learn something new every day . . .

Frankly, that sounds like a design flaw to me. If I stray off course for any reason, I will lose camera alerts until the GPS finishes re-planning, which may potentially take long enough to create a problem.

With best wishes,
- Tom -

That would not be an issue if "Do not show when not on route" is DE-selected, which I suspect is how most of us manage it. The only issue then is that you may get a proximity alert of a camera nearby that is not on your route, and it seems that 9.400 no longer allows the specification of alert proximity. Catch 22.

The only issue then is that you may get a proximity alert of a camera nearby that is not on your route, and it seems that 9.400 no longer allows the specification of alert proximity. Catch 22.
That is exactly the reason that I have been selecting that option up to now. It sounds like de-selecting it is actually the lesser of evils - which I had not previously known. Thanks for the information.

With best wishes,
- Tom -

You pays your money and takes your choice...:)

With "warn only when on route" TICKED, then you don't get lots of false alarms from cameas on nearby roads, but you DO always need to drive around with a route calculated.

With it UN-TICKED, you don't need to have a route set, but you'll get alerted to ANY camera within range, even if it's on a different road.

Personally, I always have a route set, so I have that option TICKED for all my POI warnings.

Ask a Question