GO 1000 Lack of Support or updates STILL!

I am starting to have serious reservations on whether my 1005 will ever be capable of the missing funtionality. My tomtom claims that fixed safety cameras can now be updated weekly and mobile cameras over the air. However, on connecting my device, both it and My tomtom claim it is up to date. Since it was purchased on late October last the cameras cannot possibly be up to date and would, I expect need an update now. Interesting that there is no way of telling when or if ever anything has been updated either on the device or on the website. That goes for cameras, quick fix GPS, etc I contacted Tomtom and raised a question but all I got was the usual "Our technical people are looking into this issue".

It seems to me that the device never had the ability to be updated when it was released, never mind be able to provide information on it's current funtions. i.e. whether they are up to date or not.

Does anyone else feel rather cheated into purchasing something that certainly does not do what it clams to be able to do at the moment and does't look like it ever will? Does anyone else feel the company is in decline, backs to the wall?

About a week ago, Tomtom's started downloading their first speed cameras. When you connect to MyTomtom, it should have offered an update (but never described what the update was). If you never got the update, try clearing the cache on MyTomtom, then right clicking on the icon, and holding "shift" before choosing "close". Then restart MyTomtom.

On all LIVE devices, Quickgpsfix should auto-download over-the-air. If it gets a signal quickly most of the time, then you're probably up-to-date.

I still predict that the POI update (promised for 1/31) and a bugfix update will be out before their investor call on 2/18. Tomtom wouldn't want embarrassing questions from their shareholders.

Finally some action from the company

Well, I checked My Tomtom this morning at 0500h Australian time and surprise: A down load called Navigator around 70mb was awaiting me. I plugged in my GO1000 and it did its thing with minimal input from me.
I think this is what it installed:
List of new features and improvements

Version 10.060
(Via Series)

Minor improvements
Version 10.024
(GO 1000 and GO LIVE 1000)

Improves artwork, layout and translations in several places.
Increases overall stability and performance, especially for connections with computers, Bluetooth phones and RDS-TMC receivers.
Fixes problems with LIVE roaming in Luxembourg.
Improves route planning precision in a few very specific situations.
Fixes several minor audio problems and other minor bugs.
Introduces several minor user interface improvements, such as removing the need for street selection in Local Search with Google.

I'm not sure if I like the dumbed down owner experience of the new software (My TT vs TT Home) but I'm sure it has its benifits.

Let the up dating begin!

Ken

Last edited:
The update seems to have added the ability to import custom POI ov2 files through an option in the MyTomtom menu.

I know a lot of people have been looking for this but I still want my map update! :)

The update seems to have added the ability to import custom POI ov2 files through an option in the MyTomtom menu.
For those of us that couldn't use one of these at all without the custom POI feature, can you give us any idea what the interface looks like for this feature? Should be possible to send both a 'normal' TomTom *.ov2 file and a *.bmp to give it an associated icon. Does that appear to be the case?

Should be possible to send both a 'normal' TomTom *.ov2 file and a *.bmp to give it an associated icon. Does that appear to be the case?

You can also send the optional "x2" large icon (which gets used in the top left corner during POI warnings if it is present.)

Unfortunately, there is no support for adding .ogg format audio files for the POI warnings yet.

I've just added about 30 sets of POIs (mainly speed camera warnings), and that means uploading 90 files one at a time. VERY boring!
I was so worn out by the time I'd finished, I decided to leave setting up the warnings for them until tomorrow.

That's got to be improved.

I wonder if the stuff ever got beta tested prior to release :D

Or if TT didn't, uh, listen.........:rolleyes:

Not necessarily, mvl. Gee-Pee may have named an ov2 file as Favourites and it could be his that you are seeing.

Unlike the custom POI, the "favorites" one can't be removed. I think it's the Operating System favorites.

What's interesting about that picture is that Tomtom appears to have implemented favorites as an ov2. That means it should do a much better job of surviving map updates.

Not necessarily, mvl. Gee-Pee may have named an ov2 file as Favourites and it could be his that you are seeing.

Correct, Favourites are now an .ov2.

But it can be a little confusing...see my post here

I see there was another update to My TT last night (21 FEB 11). No idea what it did though. Still no map upgrade for Australia, and it'''s sent me on incorrect roads or past the turn point more than any other GPS I've owned.

Best wishes all.

Ken

Ask a Question