General Questions about the 720

I am about to get a 720 and have a few questions.

Does the 720 charge off a USB cable? Is it a MiniB like the one used for most new Motorola phones or the PSP which I have already? Or am I completely screwed and need to buy the home dock? I'm not gunna get a dock with it and every where I look for a dock either wants $50 for it or there sold out(TomToms website is out of stock on almost all 720 accessories).

What is a good place to go for things like mounts for the 720? I am eyeballing a RAM mount, but they don't come out until November 20th, and Proclip would cost something like $100 after you buy both parts which is completely ridiculous when ram mounts cost like $40 - $50 and seem much more stable. I am assuming the lack of 3rd party accessories is due to the relative newness of the 720

Thanks for any help.

yes, it uses the same plug as that used on the motorola. Not to sure on the voltage of a motorola charger if you decide to use it. The 720 comes with a dock, so no need to purchase seperately and also a car charger. It also has a windshield mount which works great, but if you live in Cali, Ebay has alot of mounts thats under $30.

i have a 720 and charge it quite happily with the charger that came with my Motorola V3*.

i would assume that the USB to mini USB cable that also came with the V3 (or any similar cable) would allow you to connect (=charge+update) the 720 to a 'puter without the dock, but as the previous caller noted, it comes in the box anyway.

* Australian volts used, your results may differ... ;-)

yes, it uses the same plug as that used on the motorola. Not to sure on the voltage of a motorola charger if you decide to use it. The 720 comes with a dock, so no need to purchase seperately and also a car charger. It also has a windshield mount which works great, but if you live in Cali, Ebay has alot of mounts thats under $30.

I'm buying it open box, I'm not sure the story behind it, but the guy seems legit. Ive seen it and it looks good, but it wont turn on. the charge light comes on when plugged in, I assume it needs to be reset, but he only wants $50 for it since he cant fix it and I'm not about to pass this up and tell him to reset since he's already bought a new one. He doesn't have the charge base for it any more, just the one that came with his new one.

And I'm not planning on using the wall charger from my phone, just the straight USB cable to connect to the PC. Does it charge when the cable is connected to the computer?

you can charge/sync/operate the 720 directly from the computer using a Motorola compatible cable. I have lots of different cables with A/B ends for USB. I have a cable that came with the V3M music sync kit. It charges both the V3 and 720 just fine. If I use other A/B cables I'll get an error message on the phone and the unit will not charge. I haven't tried the other cables on the 720. There's been no reason to when I have one I know works correctly with both. It's the one I carry in my computer bag. I am, however, planning on getting an iGo to charge/operate computer/phone/720/Palm TX from a single device when I travel (yeah, I know--I have too much crap).

One of the many great benefits of the USB mini plug is that is can work with many devices. Here is one strange one though. My Motorola compatible car charger charges the TomTom 720 but the TomTom 720 cable will not charge the Motorola. Either way now I can just leave the TomTom in my center console on charge until I need it (or need to charge the cell phone).

Great feature. Now only if Apple would catch on with their iPods. It would be so easy to just compete with Apple if Microsoft or another manufacturer just made it simple and easy to use.

Nathan...

Ask a Question