Tom Tom One - 130 (general info for a new user)

Hi guys! I was totally bullied into buying a Tom-Tom GPS by a shop guy who wouldn't give me a straight refund on defunct speakers, and now I'm a little bit out of my league. I mean, I don't even have a car! I figured I could use it for hiking but I needed to buy a charger and... well... I'm hoping you guys can give me some basic tips for a confessed GPS newbie.

Firstly, charging.
I picked up a USB/AC Adapter from EBgames (some tipsters told me the TomTom has the same plug as the PSP). It has a wall socket plug on one end and an adapter that fits a PSP on the other... does anyone know for sure if I'm good to go with charging from a wall outlet? Do I have to charge for 24 hrs on the first try? In fact, is there anything I need to know about charging the TomTom One that differs from, say, a cell phone? I've heard the battery power lasts about 2hrs. Are there common sense ways to conserve that maybe a new user like myself wouldn't automatically know?

Secondly, software.
From what I understand (and please feel free to censor me if I'm breaking forum rules - I'm not trying to cause trouble) the main difference between TomTom units is the software/firmware. I'm a little unclear on the details. Is there a FAQ somewhere that will help me set up my little gadget to the best of it's potential? Are any important caveats for, say, downloading the latest maps or upgrading firmware?
I'm in Canada so we actually don't have a lot of legal issues when it comes to downloading and using commercial software (so long as I don't sell it) but I'm worried about potentially ruining the device as a result of my considerable inexperience. :p

Much thanks!

First the usb charging adapter. Others have posted that what you have is an alternative to the factory model but I can offer no input on that topic. Some years ago people who bought the 910 were shocked to find that although some chargers fit the plug the unit used only about 5 volts and not 12. Be sure to listen carefully to the advice you receive from others but as always it comes with a caveat.
You do need to charge the unit for several hours before using it and overnight is ok I imagine. As far as how long it last that depends on the demand, the condition of the battery, and for those units that have the option how bright you set the screen. My unit last about five hours as a rule.
There are some differences in the hardware on the units as well as software. Before you do anything make a back up of your unit using windows explorer. This way if you update and something goes awry you will have a good back up to use. There are several "tweaks" but those are not my specialty. I imagine you will get some feedback on those shortly.

In my experience the tomtoms with the mini-USB jack (x20 series or newer) were compatible with every mini-usb charger (wall/laptop/AC) that I had tried. In fact, other than HTC cellphones and its related chargers, every mini-usb device I've ever seen works with every mini-USB charger I've ever seen.

As far as power savings, the only things I can think of are 1) turn off bluetooth if you're not using it, and 2) set the brightness to the lowest readable level, and 3) check the "turn off when unplugged" setting in batter preferences.

As far as software, this is a legit forum. Make a backup via explorer of what you have now, and every legit update tomtom offers can be undone by restoring from the backup. If you stray into the illegitimate world, be careful as some mods cause irreversible damage.

As you don't have a car, you will have little use for this device. It is not meant for off-road hiking. The maps will only display streets and you can't navigate to points that aren't on the street or road.

Ask a Question