General Concensus of APP 8.3X

TomTom Model(s)
Go720
I was just wondering if everyone is as frustrated with TT as I am because of App8.3x.

I currently have a 720 and paid for the new map upgrade, and my wife liked the text to speech function until App8.3x.

I find it very disconcerning that with the numerous issues(missing icons, non-funtioning FM transmitter, mysterious appearance of a select button, stuttering computer voice, etc...) that have revolved around App8.3x that the update was never pulled from the online store or a real fix be released.

Tech support told me they needed the feed back from the users to help resolve the issues, isn't that what beta testers are for? And if they did use beta testers did none of them have a 720?

:mad:

Yes I am in the same boat as you... in fact I have rolled back to 8.01 and maps 8.10 AT TT's SUGGESTION!!! I have the new 8.15 maps sitting on my computer and they are useless... I use the TTS and traffic too much to deal with stuttering voice and slow refresh rate of the maps.

I am getting more and more pissed the longer time goes on... TT says to just hang in there that they are working on the issue.

Getting really tired of it.

Yes I am in the same boat as you... in fact I have rolled back to 8.01 and maps 8.10 AT TT's SUGGESTION!!! I have the new 8.15 maps sitting on my computer and they are useless... I use the TTS and traffic too much to deal with stuttering voice and slow refresh rate of the maps.

I am getting more and more pissed the longer time goes on... TT says to just hang in there that they are working on the issue.

Getting really tired of it.
The boat's getting pretty full... I didn't even wait for TT to point to a rollback solution. I had called tech support early after the 8.300 explosion and before they started being so adventurous with their suggestions to users. At least it's good to hear that they are getting people back to a more functional level.

TT experience so far - extremely underwhelming

Several years back I bought a used Garmin Quest from a co-worker and absolutely loved it. It wasn't exactly feature packed, but it worked flawlessly. The one issue that became increasingly unbearable to me was the fact that it had very limited memory and I had to load different maps whenever I went on a trip. With my wife and I making 2-3 trips a month for business, it became extremely burdensome to keep switching maps.

I bought a TT XL for my father in law this past Christmas and was immediately impressed by the large display, touch screen interface, and pre-loaded maps. I did my research and ponied up the $$$ for a refurb TT730 which I picked up for $230 on buy.com. The 730 seemed to have a wealth of features for a price far below the closest competition.

Disclaimer - I am extremely tech savvy and have no problem tinkering with the inner workings of my computer, blackberry, and other gadgets. That being said - almost every advanced feature of my 730 has been a struggle. TT Home is a buggy, glitch ridden train wreck. It bricked my TT the first time I updated and I had to reload everything. TTS has never worked for me (constant stuttering). Making playlists for the jukebox is a convoluted mess requiring a MP3 ripper and playlist creator. The speakerphone feature is iffy at best (I much prefer my Blueant visor unit). The TT sometimes resets for no reason, sometimes in the middle of a route or while on a call. I had to edit my contact list in a text file on my PC because the phone import didn't work correctly. The FM transmitter is weak and will drop out while on a call. I can't get a weather report for Albany, NY (only the freakin Capital of New York!) The Itinerary/Waypoint function is idiotic and virtually useless. And I think my TT is possessed, some times it comes on for no reason whatsoever. Did I forget to mention periodic "updates" that make the TT worse rather than better?

The basic navigation and POI features are pretty good, and traffic actually works pretty well with my T-Mobile Blackberry Curve (even though I don't think an average consumer could manage to set this up properly), but everything else has been a mess for me. If I were an everyday consumer who dropped $400+ on this unit in a retail store and had to go through this I would be livid. The next time I am in the market for a GPS, I think I will be going back to Garmin. I would advise anyone shopping for TT to stick to the most basic models - the advanced features require a tremendous amount of effort (and considerable technical know-how) to get working and just aren't worth the premium.

Wow - now that this is all in writing I can't imaging that I actually bought this thing! TT should be ashamed.

In my experience, each winter tomtom rushes a bunch of new features to market, to gain market share in the Christmas season.

The winter applications tend to have many annoying bugs, and then they work through the spring to stabilize their applications.

This year seems no different. I suspect we'll have a pretty stable app v8.4 by summertime, and then decide on whether the cool features they release next winter are worth the bugginess.

This year seems no different. I suspect we'll have a pretty stable app v8.4 by summertime, and then decide on whether the cool features they release next winter are worth the bugginess.
The only kinds of features they could add next winter that would cause me to take the chance of 8.300 style headaches again are -- never mind, you those that you can't add to a GPSr:p

Ask a Question