G6000 slow after updates and memory card question

TomTom Model(s)
G6000
Hello All

I have just bought myself a G6000 and am quite happy with it. I have a few questions that maybe people can answer for me.

1. After updating the G6000 it now seems slower to boot and slower to find routes. Any solutions how to speed it up?

2. If I install a 32 Gig memory card in the slot will this increase the speed of the G6000, a bit like adding extra memory to a PC/Laptop it helps with the thinking memory available to MS Windows.

3. Is it possible to move the installed maps / speed camera info to the memory card and would this help in speeding up the G6000 in the way it operates. I have about 578meg free of the on board 8gig installed at Purchase.

Thank you for your help
Chris
(In the UK)

If you add a uSD card, it's not like 'adding extra memory to a PC', it's like adding another disk drive to a PC, and won't help with the speed. Moving things to external won't speed anything up, either .. in fact, if you use a slow uSD card, it might even slow things down.

Have you manually rebooted the unit since the update? Press and hold the power button until you hear the drums / see the logo and then release immediately.

If you add a uSD card, it's not like 'adding extra memory to a PC', it's like adding another disk drive to a PC, and won't help with the speed. Moving things to external won't speed anything up, either .. in fact, if you use a slow uSD card, it might even slow things down.

Have you manually rebooted the unit since the update? Press and hold the power button until you hear the drums / see the logo and then release immediately.

Hello Canderson.
Yes I turn off the G6000 every time I am not using it. If I hold the button down a little to long I get the Bios version and information screen which is usefull. ;)

So it is actually booted cold every time I use it. I have ordered a 1 x SanDisk 32GB Ultra 30MB/s SD Card (SDHC) - Class 10 so that should be quick enough I believe?

I can use that for extra maps like USA & Canada when I need them.

Any other ideas? Maybe it is just me but I am sure it was quicker the first few times I used it before doing a number of updates over the last month. I do up dates using My Drive.

Thanks for your help.

Storing additional maps on uSD card will be something that MyDrive will automatically recommend to you in the event that you wish to load more than will fit in internal memory. Until then, the card will remain dormant. And yes, the card you have ordered will work fine. Your TomTom will wish to format it according to its own needs. Once formatted, you will need to reboot the unit to have the extra space recognized.

As to the speed issue, I don't know what to say. Not knowing what level of firmware was on the unit before and after the update, we're not even certain what differences there might have been in the code. We haven't seen any other complaints about code updates slowing the unit down.

Ask a Question