EXTREMELY slow map downloads..

It seems like this is a common problem, especially for European users, but now that I have my 1005, I thought I'd download the latest map.

Started with European map (2.9Gb), and it's steadily downloading at an almost constant 54KB/s.. This is at work where I can download almost anything else at around 50Mbit/s..

If the firewall / proxy blocked such downloads, why would I get anything? This is just painful.. :mad:

For whatever reson, TomTom's map servers seem slow for many people.

You aren't on a wireless connection at work, are you?

On Ethernet.. but might have found a solution.

On the online page, I set my location to US instead of UK, and now the maps are zooming down the line!! Maybe it's switched me to the US servers? 12MB/s now! :)

Strange.......

AFAIK, the servers are all in the Netherlands.

But hey, whatever works...........

To be fair, I also changed browser from Safari to Firefox so maybe that made the difference! Shouldn't have changed 2 things at once :p

On Ethernet.. but might have found a solution.

On the online page, I set my location to US instead of UK, and now the maps are zooming down the line!! Maybe it's switched me to the US servers? 12MB/s now! :)
I am in the US, and have always had slow downloads from TomTom, although they have never been as slow as you reported. I have blamed it on either slow servers in the Netherlands, or a choke point in the web somewhere between the Netherlands and California. (I have a fast connection at home and can download a 750 MB update from Adobe in only a few minutes.)

I will certainly not complain if faster downloads are now available in the US !

But I will believe it when I see it on my own computer - I don't believe in counting chickens before they hatch. :)

With best wishes,
- Tom -

Ask a Question