GO750 Slow on directions

TomTom Model(s)
GO750 Live Garmin Camper 760LMT-D
I have a Go750 which is just two years old. The card fitted is an 8gb Class 6. However on a recent three month tour I noticed a couple of 'issues' with it that were not previously apparent. On giving directions the instruction would be "at 250 yards bear right.........(long pause)......towards........(another long pause), then place name".

This was fine and ok if trundling along some traffic free country lane with no vehicles behind, but not much fun when negotiating a busy town or city where instructions are needed in an instant.

Anyone any ideas on curing it? My first TT was the 'old' 700 and I never had this problem at all.

Also when negotiating Autoroute intersections around Bruge it 'locked up' and totally lost the GPS signal. Fortunately I knew the direction to take but was unable to reset it (by switching it off and back on) until some time later due to traffic conditions.

Have you tried resetting the unit by holding the power button about 15 seconds till you hear the drum sounds (unless your model has a dedicated reset hole)?

Also, are you on the latest application for your device (connect to Home-->Update my device and see if a newer application is offered).

I've had this recently too, but I've also had something very similar (but specific) for a long time.

My GO940 has always gone: "After six hundred...(long pause)...... yards, turn right"

It's as if it needs to go and double-check what units it should be using before it speaks.

I think they are just under-powered.

But by the way, you mention the speed of the SD card fitted. What are you actually running from the card? Most people run their Go750's from the internal memory and only use a card for any maps which are too large to fit.

Have you tried resetting the unit by holding the power button about 15 seconds till you hear the drum sounds (unless your model has a dedicated reset hole)?

Also, are you on the latest application for your device (connect to Home-->Update my device and see if a newer application is offered).
I did try the reset though I didn't hear the drum sound.....maybe didn't hold it down long enough? Mine doesn't have a reset hole and it is done via the on/off button.

There were no updates of any significance indicated.

I've had this recently too, but I've also had something very similar (but specific) for a long time.

My GO940 has always gone: "After six hundred...(long pause)...... yards, turn right"

It's as if it needs to go and double-check what units it should be using before it speaks.

I think they are just under-powered.

But by the way, you mention the speed of the SD card fitted. What are you actually running from the card? Most people run their Go750's from the internal memory and only use a card for any maps which are too large to fit.

When I first had the 750 I had to install an SD card as when i tried installing the free updated mapping it came up as being 'not enough space on internal memory', which actually is quite small anyway, (by comparison the old 700 had 2.5gb internal).

I posted on here and was advised to get an 8gb but more importantly, Class 6 as anything less would not read fast enough.

Incidentally the model I have is the GO750 Live.....not sure if that makes much difference but doubt it.

I did try the reset though I didn't hear the drum sound.....maybe didn't hold it down long enough? Mine doesn't have a reset hole and it is done via the on/off button.
I suspect you did not hold the power button down long enough. On my devices, it takes approximately 20 seconds, but I don't know that the same value applies to other models.

In any event, the actual time is not what counts, but just that you hold the button down until you get a brief "drum-beat" sound, and the TomTom logo appears at the edge of the screen. At that moment, you immediately release the power button and watch your device go through its reboot process.

With best wishes,
- Tom -

I suspect you did not hold the power button down long enough. On my devices, it takes approximately 20 seconds, but I don't know that the same value applies to other models.

In any event, the actual time is not what counts, but just that you hold the button down until you get a brief "drum-beat" sound, and the TomTom logo appears at the edge of the screen. At that moment, you immediately release the power button and watch your device go through its reboot process.

With best wishes,
- Tom -

Thanks.......will give the reboot another go!

Ask a Question