Format and install software.

TomTom Model(s)
Via 1535TM
I updated my map the other day on my XXL540mt. It took 4 tried until it started installing new map. But it did not finish updating. It said I did not have enough memory. Disconnected it from my pc and tried to turn it on. Would not start. It will allow me to connect to it after holding down the start button. It says my map is updated then. Someone said the format it with Fat32 and reinstall software. Where does one find the OS software and just how do you go about installing, or is there some other way to fix it?

Thanks

Try a drum reset on the unit by holding the power button about 20 seconds till you hear the drum sounds. See if it works ok then.

Tried that. It will only stay on if I have it plugged into my PC. I have charged it for over a day. So I know that is not the problem. It worked until I updated to a new map. Also another question. If I have free life time maps then why does it keep trying to sell me new maps?

Did you register the free lifetime maps, either online or by calling CS directly?

United States
866 486 6866
Monday - Friday: 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. EST
Saturday: 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. EST

You should only be getting map update email once per quarter. Are you seeing it more often than that, but I see you own 2 TomTom units. Just to be clear (and safe)... you DID register your new Via1535 with a different account (email address), correct?

And do NOT format your 540 until you have first made a full backup of the contents (unless you have recently done so already). See >>> https://www.tomtomforums.com/thread...-to-the-computer-and-how-to-restore-it.17864/

I have two TomToms. A XXL540TM and a VIA1535TM. Because I have two I have two different email accounts used. I receive a notice for both of them. I have two different programs TomTom Home and My TomTom to connect to my GPSs. I have always had a problem with the updates on my VIA. It always erased my saved Favorites. And had to use an old laptop with no firewall to install with. I receive notices no my XXL account, but I cannot get TomTom to recognize my account when trying to log in. It says it does not exist. But good news. I removed the old map and installed a new one. Had two to pick from 2 maps. It works now without my favorites.

Note that you can save the favorites on your 1535 off to your PC for safe keeping -- just in case.

Anyway, have you backed up your 540? It can help us to quickly get you out of a lot of different ditches in the future if necessary.

Note that you can save the favorites on your 1535 off to your PC for safe keeping -- just in case.

Anyway, have you backed up your 540? It can help us to quickly get you out of a lot of different ditches in the future if necessary.

The 1535 should back it self up from its own program like the 540 does.

The 1535 should back it self up from its own program like the 540 does.

That's not so.... There is no way to fully back up any model that uses MyTomTom/MyDrive on the PC.

However, they allow you to re-install the maps and software from there and there's an emergency recovery mode on the device itself to rescue it in the event of a software corruption.

For the older models which connect to TT Home, we have always advised you DO NOT use Home to create backups as it has caused innumerable problems in the past.
We suggest you always create backups for those models by simply copy and pasting the entire unit's contents to the PC using Windows Explorer instead.
(See our forum FAQs/Articles for instructions)

Ask a Question