Fix for 8.30 app on GO 720 & 920 stuttering & slow refresh

Hi All,

I've been experimenting with a 520, 8.3 firmware and 8.15 maps in the UK.

The computer generated text to speech stutters as reported by others,

Note: You need to take your tomtom on a trip rather than use the demo mode to test for stuttering - it only seems to stutter in real life situations where it's trying to refresh the screen, update the GPS and do text to speech at once.

I updated to 8.32 but found some other problems, like the screen brightness changing at random intervals while charging.
Also the MP3 files being played skipped before the TTS direction were played - which was rather annoying.

So I have now gone back to 8.3 but I am using the LoquendoTTS v7 voices. There seems to be no stuttering at all, no screen flicker or MP3 skipping :)

Clear out your LoquendoTTS directory, download these files and extract them to the (now empty) directory, then re apply your 8.3 cab file (which should be stored from in your TTHome download directory) as this puts a couple of files back into the LoquendoTTS directory.

American Dave Voice

American Susan Voice

British Kate Voice

British Simon Voice

Last edited:
The directions are easy to follow until it says to install using WinRar. Is this a Windows only program, or will it work with a Mac also?

"FM to your Car Radio" doesn't send music to the car speakers

I installed the 8.204 firmware on my GO 720 to take care of the voice stuttering issue. Everything seems to be working well, except the "FM to your car radio" option for the music does not play on the car speakers. The music goes to the internal speaker now when the option is selected.

Any suggestions how to fix this? Thank you,

Last edited:
Only by rolling back the firmware.

Version 8.204 is REALLY meant for the X40 models. Since the 740 does NOT have an mp3 player built in and since instructions via fm were killed off in 8.3, there is no way to have that functionality in 8.204.

I installed the 8.204 firmware on my GO 720 to take care of the voice stuttering issue. Everything seems to be working well, except the "FM to your car radio" option for the music does not play on the car speakers. The music goes to the internal speaker now when the option is selected.

Any suggestions how to fix this? Thank you,

I'm VERY happy with 8.204 but as dhn said, since the 740 was never meant to have an MP3 player, the MP3 via FM does not work. Yea you can play MP3's normally, but it can only be done via Line Out or internal speaker. And also since I don't use data services via bluetooth, that issue is also not a problem.

With 8.204 I am stutter free, have incredible fast refresh rates, have cool icons, and still get to use map 815. I will never go back to 8.3 unless a real fix is relased. I also love how the whole OS changes color when I switch to night mode as well.

So with 8.204 you don't get

Traffic services via bluetooth (but you still can via FM receiver)
MP3 playback via FM (Internal speaker and Line out only)

Good to know. I'm also very happy with 8.204, so I would have to get by without the music thru the car speakers until TomTom releases a new and better version. Thank you for the clarifications,

I'm VERY happy with 8.204 but as dhn said, since the 740 was never meant to have an MP3 player, the MP3 via FM does not work. Yea you can play MP3's normally, but it can only be done via Line Out or internal speaker. And also since I don't use data services via bluetooth, that issue is also not a problem.

With 8.204 I am stutter free, have incredible fast refresh rates, have cool icons, and still get to use map 815. I will never go back to 8.3 unless a real fix is relased. I also love how the whole OS changes color when I switch to night mode as well.

So with 8.204 you don't get

Traffic services via bluetooth (but you still can via FM receiver)
MP3 playback via FM (Internal speaker and Line out only)

This caught my attention...

While I haven't had any issues with stuttering on my TTG720 with the 8.3 firmware and the 815 maps, I am interested in the faster refresh rates, cooler icons and better/enhanced VR capabilities. I don't care for the MP3 playbac.

I assume this 8.204 firmware is from the TTGO Live 740 hack that was posted here and FW recently? Can this be run from the SD card instead, thereby leaving the TTG720 untouched?

Voice just plain stops

Hey all,

New TomTom owner, I bought a 930 last week. I upgraded the unit to 8.300 with the 8.15 maps, and am having the stuttering issue many have noted. Mine doesn't just stutter, though. It basically just stops announcing anything. I've had a couple trips where everything worked fine, but every other time, the voice will announce the first turn or two, break up, and then never says anything again.

I'm using the version 7 Susan voice. I haven't tried any of the non-computer voices yet, as I haven't downloaded any. I'm going to try that tonight. I've also noticed the threads talking about updating to 8.32. I might give that a try as well. I'm just not sure if there's a bigger problem with my TomTom, as it seems everyone is just having stutters and not full-stop on the voice instructions.

This caught my attention...

While I haven't had any issues with stuttering on my TTG720 with the 8.3 firmware and the 815 maps, I am interested in the faster refresh rates, cooler icons and better/enhanced VR capabilities. I don't care for the MP3 playbac.

I assume this 8.204 firmware is from the TTGO Live 740 hack that was posted here and FW recently? Can this be run from the SD card instead, thereby leaving the TTG720 untouched?
Where can I find the 8.204 firmware?

Discussion of that version firmware is inappropriate in this forum. That version was never meant for other than x40 units, none of which are as yet available in North America.

Discussion of that version firmware is inappropriate in this forum. That version was never meant for other than x40 units, none of which are as yet available in North America.
Then again, I'm not sure 8.300 was meant for x20 and x30 units, either... :mad:

Ask a Question