Favorites lost on Go 2535 Live

TomTom Model(s)
Go 2535 Live, XXL 540 TM
Hi,

I recently purchased a Go 2535 Live, and REALLY like the traffic feature. It is amazingly accurate, and covers many more roads than my previous device.

However, twice now my favorites have become corrupted. I'm not sure I can recreate exactly how it is happening, but perhaps may be occurring soon after I add a new favorite position. When it happens, the first symptom is when I try to navigate to a favorite, rather than being presented with my list, I get a screen I've never seen before, asking if I want to configure my frequently-visited places by category, and soon thereafter it becomes evident that almost all my Favorites are lost. Annoying.

The next challenge is recovering them. I cannot seem to treat this TomTom as a USB disk drive like I've been able to with previous models, but I do use the MyTomTom software "Add Community Content" option to back up "Favorites.ov2" to my computer, so I have a reasonably recent backup, but the problem is - how can I actually get it back onto the 2535?

Problems:

- I cannot just open the 2535 as a USB drive and copy the file using windows explorer, like I might have done with previous models

- The MyTomTom software only offers a feature to copy Favorites.ov2 to the computer, there is no option to copy it back from the computer to the 2535

- PoiEdit cannot open the saved Favorites.ov2

- I did manage to use GPSBabel to read in Favorites.ov2 and resave it as "SomethingElse.ov2", which I then was able to move to the 2535 using MyTomTom. I also could have just copied Favorites.ov2 to SomethingElse.ov2, but using GPSBabel at least made SomethingElse.ov2 viable by PoiEdit, so I could at least see the complete list. That becomes important in the next step...

- I assumed I would be able to use the 2535 then to repopulate my Favorites from the newly-created "SomethingElse" POI category, but that only was partially successful. I have favorites stored in that file all over the United States, and when I try to navigate to one of the new POI's, only the ones currently "near" me are shown, and the range is really low, less than 50 miles. So, to find the other POI's that are greater than 50 miles from me, I have to a) remember the POI is there, b) tell the 2535 to search near a town that I randomly pick that I hope is less than 50 miles away. I don't know the towns those places are near! That's why I have a GPS in the first place, so I don't have to memorize addresses!

I eventually manually recovered all my favorites, but it took me several hours. Thankfully GPSBabel allowed me to create a list that PoiEdit was able to view, so I could at least see the entire list and make sure I recovered them all by searching for them near towns they were near.

The whole experience took several hours, and was extremely frustrating. Is there an easier way? I love the 2535, but this is really annoying.

Thanks,
Elliott

- The MyTomTom software only offers a feature to copy Favorites.ov2 to the computer, there is no option to copy it back from the computer to the 2535

Just add the poi file favorites.ov2 file to the Tomtom on the same screen. Whenever an ov2 file is named "favorites.ov2", the Tomtom will process it as favorites.

Ah thanks MVL, I'll give that a try, that could be very helpful.

Ask a Question