External antenna charger from XL - works with VIA 1435TM?

Hi,

I have an external RDS-TMC antenna/12V charger cable from my XL340TM.

If I get the right converter plug and plug that antenna/charger cable into my new VIA1435TM, would that work to provide LIVE traffic?

Thx.

Nope. You cannot convert the non Live version to a LIVE model. It requires a sim card that the non-Live model does not have.

I think I saw somewhere that someone with the correct connector did attach an rds-tmc antenna to a non-Live model. And I think it did NOT show rds-tmc traffic on the unit. But I'm not 100% positive about that ...........

Just to clarify--

the VIA 1435TM is a non-LIVE model. By 'LIVE Traffic' I am only referring to the LIVE traffic status obtained from the included VIA external antenna/12v charger combo cable.

Is the VIA's external antenna/12v charger cable a RDS-TMC antenna just like the XL340TM's antenna (the combo antenna/charger) type, or it's different traffic radio it's getting the traffic status from?

Perhaps if we can get some more folks to confirm it the XL's combo antenna/charger would work w/ VIA's... .

PS: both XL and VIA models are US models.

Last edited:
Just to clarify--

the VIA 1435TM is a non-LIVE model. By 'LIVE Traffic' I am only referring to the LIVE traffic status obtained from the included VIA external antenna/12v charger combo cable.

I'll say again.....

LIVE traffic is NOT the same as the traffic information that models with the rds-tmc combo antenna get. LIVE traffic is more current and accurate and shows traffic on side streets. Non-LIVe (fm traffic) is not as accurate, current (info refreshes every 15 minutes, as I remember) and only dealts with highways, not side streets and I don't even think main roads.

I guess I'll say RDS-TMC traffic then. Sounds clear enough?

Anyway, what I want to know is if the combo charger/RDS-TMC antenna cable for XL would work for VIA.

Is the VIA's external antenna/12v charger cable a RDS-TMC antenna just like the XL340TM's antenna (the combo antenna/charger) type, or it's different traffic radio it's getting the traffic status from?

The Via's cigar lighter power adapter is also an RDS-TMC receiver. Are you saying you don't have one? It should have been in the box when you bought it.

As for your original question, to be honest I don't think you'll find many people in a situation to test whether an old XL receiver will work with a Via.
To do so, they would have to go out and buy the mini to micro USC adapter you mentioned you'd need.

I think you're going to have to just try it yourself.

... but I'm still not sure why you need to. Why don't you have the proper one?

Some more info....
The US TomTom website, doesn't show many accessories, but if you go to the UK one, it has quite a few more.

If you look on this page Traffic Receiver - Traffic receivers and Antennas - Accessories - TomTom you'll see that the same RDS-TMC receiver is sold as an accessory for both the XL models and the VIAs that we have in the UK (different models to yours, but they still have micro USB sockets while the XLs have mini-USB).

And "In the box" it says there is
the RDS-TMC receiver itself
the User guide
and a Micro USB adapter

So it's looking hopeful that if you can source a mini_USB socket to micro-USB plug adapter lead, it's looking hopeful that it may work.

Ask a Question