External antenna... or just live with it?

TomTom Model(s)
Ever since I mounted my TT-510 below the dash (see pic), I notice that it takes longer for the satellites to hook up to it. And late last night, when trying to navigate out of San Francisco, it wouldn't hook up at all. It wasn't until later, when getting on the freeway, that it finally found the satellites. Since I'm driving a Porsche with a soft top, I never thought this would be any problem -- but apparently I was wrong. So what to do, get an external antenna? If so, any recommendations?

-- peer

Attachments

• gps.jpg
    gps.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 609
You can get an antenna on eBay for under $20. So it won't cost you much to find out. In my view, it should solve your problem.

Nice Mount

Love the location, my car has a similar open pocket, but my Sirius satelite is there. You built in antenna isn't going to receive a strong signal there, maybe if it stuck out of the hole an inch or so, the antenna might get better signal.

i would go with the external, you could mount it near the edge of the dash out of the way.

I too have a similar pocket. I was getting okay receptions with a good signal after 30sec to 1min of turning the 910 on (actually, very impressed that I got a signal at all as my garmin didn't get one). I ended up placing an HD Radio receiver behind the dash after which the 910 was unable to get and maintain a good signal. I hooked up an external antena..US$70 at a local store as I didn't want to wait..and the signal is now great. Way better than before with a good signal locked in at under 10sec always.

Also, I had always wonder why my position on the map was maybe a car link behind where I actually was as I past an intersection. Well, with the external antena, the map now actually places me dead on where I think I should be even though the external antena is on the rear deck (was actually worried that I now would be two car links off..stupid me).

I'm very happy with the external antena and would highly recommend one.

-mdj.

That is a great location. The external antenna should offer enough gain to deal with that easily. I originally installed my tt in my camry in a similar fashion. I had the problem with weak satellites but the electronics for the hybrid controls created so much interference I had it moved. Let us know how the external antenna works.

drledger wrote:
> That is a great location.

Yea, I like it there. It's less prone to theft and sunlight.

> The external antenna should offer enough gain to deal with that easily. [...]
> Let us know how the external antenna works.

Sure, I bought it but haven't yet received it. I'll post my findings as soon as it's installed.

Thanks everyone.

-- peer

Okay, so I finally got this external antenna (from China of all places) and mounted it on top of the dash at the base of the windshield. But silly me, I first plugged it into the audio jack, and hence didn't get any better reception, (no mention in the manual where to plug this thing).

Anyways, I'll get back to you when I find out if this thing will boost the signal or not.

-- peer

The antenna jack appears to be on the opposite side of the mount from the audio plug.

Attachments

• 393.jpg
    393.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 1,096
Well, so I installed this external antenna, and I've been using it for about a month now.

At first I thought it helped somewhat, but now realize that this was just some placebo effect. Basically, I can't see any improvements in signal strength at all -- or more importantly, the time it takes to hook up with the satellites.

I mounted the antenna at the inside base of the windshield, (and yes, this time it's attached to the correct connector ;^)

Any advice and/or suggestions on how to make my TT-510 hook up to the satellites more quickly?

-- peer

Well, so I installed this external antenna, and I've been using it for about a month now.

At first I thought it helped somewhat, but now realize that this was just some placebo effect. Basically, I can't see any improvements in signal strength at all -- or more importantly, the time it takes to hook up with the satellites.

I mounted the antenna at the inside base of the windshield, (and yes, this time it's attached to the correct connector ;^)

Any advice and/or suggestions on how to make my TT-510 hook up to the satellites more quickly?

-- peer

Did you try placing the antenna on the outside of the car?

berkisho wrote:
> Did you try placing the antenna on the outside of the car?

Actually, initially I was thinking to put it outside, but thought the weather would perhaps ruin the antenna...?

-- peer

jimbo wrote:
> I would experiment by putting it outside just to see if the darn thing is working!

Yea, I wish it was that simple -- the problem is that I've pulled the cable for the antenna through some gnarly openings & stuff behind the console and up along the dash. Hence, I doubt I'll manage to get it all back the way it was.

Either I pull it out and mount it some other place (if I could find one), or I'll leave it as is.

-- peer

46jimbo wrote:
> I would experiment by putting it outside just to see if the darn thing is working!

So I mounted it outside a couple of weeks ago, and yet I see no improvements signal-wise -- it still takes quite long to hook up to the satellites.

So wonder how long does the TT-510 normally take to hookup for you guys?

-- peer

Ask a Question