Tomtom 2535tm external antenna

TomTom Model(s)
TomTom one/ TomTomXXL 540S/Tomtom Go Live 1535m / TomTom Go 50S
Hello guys,

Can I have an external antenna in my tomtom 2535tm?

I will just like to know.
Thanks in advance

And an external GPS antenna doesn't exist for any recent models anyway....:)

And an external GPS antenna doesn't exist for any recent models anyway....:)

That's what I wanted to know in the first because there is no point in trying to discuss about something that does not exist. Thank you both for your help.

I just wanted to improve my GPS signal the more I could since I have it below the dash. It works fine, but a stronger signal is always better.

Thanks a lot and happy new year

My units are all mounted to fascia below the dash level (a couple of them very low indeed), and honestly, I haven't had any real complaint at all about signal. When I first started mounting them there (for someplace to keep them all besides the windshield) I worried over that, but was pleasantly surprised.

Give it a try and see if it doesn't work out pretty well for you.

My units are all mounted to fascia below the dash level (a couple of them very low indeed), and honestly, I haven't had any real complaint at all about signal. When I first started mounting them there (for someplace to keep them all besides the windshield) I worried over that, but was pleasantly surprised.

Give it a try and see if it doesn't work out pretty well for you.

I have had my Xl and my XXL 540 in that location and the signal is good. I just wanted to make it even better. Another thing guys, I have the GO 2535 tm WTE 8gb and in the best buy website it was saying external antenna- Optional, but with the 4 gb it was saying ... external antenna- info not available. Are u guys sure that there is not an external antenna for the GO 2535 Tm WTE?

By the way guys if TOMTOM don't have an external antenna for your device I have been doing some research and you can get this "Holux,GPS Re radiating Antenna". This device is not attach to the gps, but it boost your signal, really does :)

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kBBXl5VGh4[/ame]

Last edited:
Interesting device. For $40, might be worth a few experiments to see whether it really can deliver the claimed 26db gain or anything near it, and whether that causes any overload issues. That's quite a lot.

Does anyone know what the dipole looks like out on the end of the coax? I'm seeing something about 6cm length.

Hmm.. not sure how many of these are going to be available, but be aware that they've been discontinued by the manufacturer. I saw some reference to another model number to supercede it, but don't see them available anywhere.

Yes, I know it's still for sale (and eBay is one of the sources where you can score one for $40), but it's been discontinued by the manufacturer a bit ago, and isn't as widely available as it once was. So I'm suggesting that if a person wants to experiment with one of these, this might be the time to grab one.

Again, I saw some reference to an R-50 model that might have replaced this A-10, but have never been able to turn one of those up.

Another thing guys, I have the GO 2535 tm WTE 8gb and in the best buy website it was saying external antenna- Optional, but with the 4 gb it was saying ... external antenna- info not available. Are u guys sure that there is not an external antenna for the GO 2535 Tm WTE?

Absolutely. There is nowhere to plug an external GPS aerial in.
Maybe they were referring to an external RDS-TMC TRAFFIC receiver aerial?

...."Holux,GPS Re radiating Antenna". This device is not attach to the gps, but it boost your signal, really does :)

I've no idea about the situation in the US, but in the UK and AFAIK the rest of Europe too, a re-radiating antenna system is technically illegal.
It's unlikely you would ever get caught using one, but there are those who don't like breaking ANY laws.

No reason why it should be illegal, Andy. The effective radius for the 're'-transmission wouldn't even reach the car next to you. Greatest claimed range I've seen on any of these units is 2 meters (and the one under discussion is even less) , so we'd be talking a handful of milliwatts. It's a matter of having the thing approved as an intentional emitter under CE rules.

No GOOD reason, but they certainly are illegal (in the UK at least).

There was an article about OFCOM's standpoint from PGPSW back in 2006

Ofcom says GPS Repeaters are ilegal in the UK

where OFCOM were quoted as saying:
In addition under the Wireless Telegraphy Act 1949 a licence is required to operate radio transmitting equipment in the UK. However Ofcom may provide in legislation that users of particular categories of apparatus are exempt from licensing. To date Ofcom has not licensed use of GPS repeaters and they are not exempt from licensing.

Ofcom is currently working to establish the potential (if any) for authorising these GPS repeater type of apparatus and any relevant conditions of use. However currently, the use of this radio apparatus is not licensed or licence exempt and is therefore likely to constitute an offence under the Wireless Telegraphy Act 1949.

Any person who places GPS repeater type of apparatus on the market or uses it in the UK is likely to be committing an offence.
However, if you follow the same link today, the situation has altered slightly..
From June 2012 the regs were changed to allow licensing of re-radiating antennas inside buildings, but for your £75 licence you only get this:

• Allow GNSS repeater installations in defined fixed locations only
  • Only permit GNSS repeater use indoors (as defined in the licence)
  • Mobile use will not be authorised.
So still no in-car use.
(but you'd never get caught - the signal strengths are tiny and VERY unlikely to cause any interference)

Not to confuse things further, but aren't devices like RC transmitters operating at less than 100mW generally exempt there, too, provided they aren't operating with an unmodulated carrier? This all brings back to mind the FM modulator issue on your x20 series units that caused all of us so much grief.

I could be wrong, but I think those exemptions are only in certain specified frequency bands,

But anyway, OFCOM are the regulators here, so what they say is gospel!

We're not offended, we all agree with you.
As I said above
It's unlikely you would ever get caught using one, but there are those who don't like breaking ANY laws.
and
(but you'd never get caught - the signal strengths are tiny and VERY unlikely to cause any interference)
But the fact remains they are technically illegal.

-----

Oh, and if you've never come across a police officer who would rather make an easy "nick" for something trivial, rather than go out looking for serious crime, you're a lucky man!

No police officer is going to be carrying the equipment necessary to detect this kind of kit, nor is a police officer tasked with this kind of enforcement duty, which is why it's even less likely you'd ever be bothered over it.

Ask a Question