Entering Address: State before City???

TomTom Model(s)
TomTom One
I have been using my TomTom One for over 2 years. The thing that always irritates me is that I have to choose from a long list of cities/towns with the same or similar names throughout North America. Entering the state/province first would be most logical and drastically decrease the choices for the city (usually 1 per state with the same name). It would also be especially nice to default to the last state used when entering addresses.

Is there an alternate way to enter addresses via state/province first before entering city?

Maybe the TomTom programmers will read this and make a logical change or option for the software.

Any workarounds for this problem?

Bryan :confused:

State First

I'm using a TT One XL - and it asks for State before City! For navigating to an address, the sequence is: State, City, Street, Number.

What software version are you using??

LarryF

I'm running 8.01. When I select navigate to an address I am prompted for a city. HOWEVER, in the upper right hand corner is an icon with the state abbreviation. If I press on that icon I am given the opportunity to change the state.

Software version and more info.

To answer a couple of questions:

My unit is a TT One with
the 'USA_and_Canada' v. 665.1293
The Unit software is App 7.162 OS: 2327
GPS v1.21, Boot 5.0500

I just updated my system with TT Home v. 2.4.0.104 about 5 minutes ago and
only quick-fix data needed to be updated.

When I Navigate to... -> Address -> Street and House Number
I get prompted for a city, there is only a downward arrow on the right hand side. As I type letters it keeps making city name suggestions, but all over the entire North American continent. I don't see any icon for the state.

Is there a way to change this order to state then city or get the software version several of you are using???

I haven't see a way to change this in my preferences?

To answer a couple of questions:

My unit is a TT One with
the 'USA_and_Canada' v. 665.1293
The Unit software is App 7.162 OS: 2327
GPS v1.21, Boot 5.0500

I just updated my system with TT Home v. 2.4.0.104 about 5 minutes ago and
only quick-fix data needed to be updated.

When I Navigate to... -> Address -> Street and House Number
I get prompted for a city, there is only a downward arrow on the right hand side. As I type letters it keeps making city name suggestions, but all over the entire North American continent. I don't see any icon for the state.

Is there a way to change this order to state then city or get the software version several of you are using???

I haven't see a way to change this in my preferences?

You have't specified what TomTom ONE you have.

The unit is a TomTom One New Edition
US-Canada if that helps.
That's odd!
I thought Tomtom One New Edition REGIONAL only available in UK.
In NA (North America), there is no such ONE NEW EDITION.
Maybe it's a very old product in US???

Anyway, all Tomtom devices that I used, both NavCore 7/8, do ask State first then City

Bryan88, your problem is because you are still using v6.xx maps. If you upgrade to v7.xx, you will be able to select the state first.

Bryan88, your problem is because you are still using v6.xx maps. If you upgrade to v7.xx, you will be able to select the state first.

Yea, that map is pretty old. You can buy another device for LESS than new map. And that ONE 3rd includes Latest Map Guarantee as well.

http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3796220&CatId=3421

The ONE costs 89.99 refurbished with 1 year warranty.

You can also buy a ONE XL with 1 year warranty with latest map guarantee for $119.99 which is STILL less than a new map..

http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3575571&CatId=3422

Heck, even the ONE XL-S is 139.99!

Last edited:

Ask a Question